Designing a lab on Bifilar pendulum

Nabz

My teacher just gave me the assignment yesterday and it's due tomorrow. What i have to do is design a lab on it and hand it in which will be graded as my ia...

Problem is, we have been dong nuclear physics and all of a sudden we were given this...so i can't think of an aim and variables for this lab...can someone please help me out, i'm in deep trouble if i don't figure this out.

EDIT:

the picture we are given is something like this but instead of a rod, it's a ruler and on top, it's a 1m ruler as well but the oscillation shown is the way it should be..

namnl%C3%B6s.png

Edited by shad0wboss

By observing the period of torsional oscillation for different string separations, you could use the bifilar pendulum to make a measurement of g.

You should find details of this in a physics book or on the web.

torsional oscillation what is that, we haven't even covered that.

By observing the period of torsional oscillation for different string separations, you could use the bifilar pendulum to make a measurement of g.

You should find details of this in a physics book or on the web.

torsional oscillation what is that, we haven't even covered that.

I just mean oscillation in the direction shown by the arrows in your diagram. (Because it is also possible to do experiments with a bifilar pendulum oscillating in the plane of the supporting strings)

Do you think that's a focused aim because this only states what is going to be happening or what will be observed...

What can i get out of this lab, what am i aiming to achieve, how would i record data (time the oscillations?)

Please help me in detail !

As I suggested, the aim of the experiment would be to make a measurement of g by observing the period of oscillation for different string separations. To measure the period, you just have to use a stopwatch to time a fixed number of swings of the pendulum.

measuring g from period?

how would i be able to do it? sorry for these questions but i haven't done that before...

measuring g from period?

how would i be able to do it? sorry for these questions but i haven't done that before...

No problem, shad0wboss!

If the bifilar pendulum is not described in your physics book, a Google search will locate several websites explaining in detail how to use it to measure g.

eg:

http://www.egglescli...ifilar/bif.html

I would suggest replacing the lower metre stick in your apparatus by a heavier rod, so that the mass of the supporting strings can be neglected in the analysis.

measuring g from period?

No problem, shad0wboss!

If the bifilar pendulum is not described in your physics book, a Google search will locate several websites explaining in detail how to use it to measure g.

eg:

http://www.egglescli...ifilar/bif.html

I would suggest replacing the lower metre stick in your apparatus by a heavier rod, so that the mass of the supporting strings can be neglected in the analysis.

Thanks a lot for this post. I guess i was making things complicated because at the end of the textbook it tell you about how to write design in IA and the focused questions that i have to form are quite simple...

What i'm doing right now is that the only thing i'm investigating in this experiment is that whether the increase in length of string increase the time period....let me know if that can be considered a lab because this is what i believe my teacher wants us to do...but anyways tomorrow i'll get to know all that XD

What i'm doing right now is that the only thing i'm investigating in this experiment is that whether the increase in length of string increase the time period....let me know if that can be considered a lab because this is what i believe my teacher wants us to do...but anyways tomorrow i'll get to know all that

As with a simple pendulum, and with the usual approximations, the period of a bifilar pendulum is proportional to the square root of the length of the string. Fine if your teacher just wants you to verify that experimentally.