Written task 2

Hii ,

I am still confused with whats the main objective of the written task 2.

I mean , what and how do we focus on the topic.

for example , if i am doing it on advertisments. so do I completely generalize them or catch hold of one specific ad ?

and further on , what do I have to stick myself to while typing it all out?

It's my understanding that the second written task (HL) is more of a traditional essay compared to written task 1 (SL & HL) which is a creative opportunity. For the second written task there is a set of six guiding questions that you can choose from, should be in syllabus.

Hope this helps, all i can remember

• 3 months later...

I'll add a bit here to what sciHL has said already: It is "a critical response" (yes, in the form of an essay) but a "critical" response nevertheless to a literary or non-literary text that you have studied in class. Your response must answer *one* of the six prescribed questions. It must be in the form of an argument -- it is not merely an opinion piece or the type of essay (in the original sense) which talks around a topic or discusses and explores ideas which are loosely related. Many classmates lost points on this one by just giving their opinions to a question and not marshalling their points into a cogent argumentative essay.

For best result, choose a specific article or image -- otherwise you risk talking too generally and vaguely about everything and nothing - resulting in a lack of focus. Having a sample text will help you keep focus. Very important.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Blackcurrant