Chemistry HL Paper 3 TZ1

jess1ca

I don't think anyone put up a thread about this, but what did everyone think of the exam? It's been a week now.

I studied Option A, B, and F and I also learned G but I didn't study it enough for the exam. I ended up doing B and F.

I thought the questions were ok, but I felt some of the wording was a little vague, so I ended up putting EVERYTHING I knew just in case it wasn't what they wanted... had to use 2 extra answer sheets, haha.

Also, for biochemistry, I did not know the names of the cytochromes for the cell respiration question, so I put cytochrome oxidase for both of them. Not sure if that was the right answer. I was going to do analytical, but it looked like there were quite a few calculations involved so I didn't.

I was taught options B and D, but I ended up studying option G the night before the test because I found it much easier than option D, mainly because it's not so much about memorisation but about intuition, so in the end I did options B and G in the exam. I also didn't know what the names of the enzymes were... I wrote cytochrome oxidase and electron carriers in general, but I'm pretty sure that's not what they were after. I wish the IB learnt to write clearer questions, but one can only dream.

I really liked Paper 3! I did Option B and D (medicines and drugs) and found both to be really good. I missed that enzymes question also. I know I got my metal ions right, but I know I got my enzyme names wrong. I put down hemoglobin and 'that enzyme that goes through the membrane.' DON'T JUDGE ME :P Other than that Option B was really good.

Option D was good too except for the question on combinatorial chemistry (we didn't cover it haha). I do have one question, when they asked about the three depressants did they mean the ones like Prozac, etc or did they mean codeine/morphine/heroin? I did the codeine/morphine/heroin one and technically I was right since they have the water-soluble -OH groups and stuff, but not sure if that was the right group haha. Anyone who did this one have a definite answer?