French <<Grandes Ecoles>> for International Students

Tony Stark

Hey all,

So, I wish to go to University in Europe. The UK is my first preference, however I am also quite interested in France, les Grandes Ecoles in particular. However, the admissions process is like nothing I've seen elsewhere, with the 2-year prep courses and entrance exams. I've asked my French teacher, but she only knows of the processes for EU/Local students. I was wondering if anybody here had any experience/knowledge regarding the international admissions process for these universities? I'm particularly interested in whether or not Internationals need to do the prep courses.

For reference's sake, I'm primarily looking at SciencesPo, however some of the Parisian Humanities schools (not Grandes Ecoles) such as Paris Descartes, Paris Sorbonne, Paris Ouest, and Paris Sud have also caught my attention.

Language requirements are also of interest - I'd prefer a university which offers its courses Bilingually (English and French), however considering my French levels (my school only offers French B SL to non-native speakers, though I could and would do HL if it had been possible) I may only be able to undertake courses taught in English.

Edited by Tony Stark

A few weeks ago our French/English bilingual IB school held a meeting with presentations about the IB and university entrance requirements. During the meeting a lady professor from a French university who claimed to be very well informed on the subject insisted quite vociferously that in France the IB did not "open any doors" compared with the French Baccalaureate. This was contested by the school's DP Coordinator and French higher education guidance counsellor, who claimed that IB alumni were well received in that country.

Edited by HiggsHunter