University applications +scholarships

Guest Jar Jar D'oh!

Guest Jar Jar D'oh!

I have 2 problems:

1) Finding a scholarship for A bachelor's in veterinary medicine for an international student.I really need some scholarship if not a freaking merit scholarship. :(

2) I'm probably not going to the UK, so that leaves the USA, Australia and other countries for the course. My problem is that I don't have too much know-how on admission processes, like I think admissions have closed by now, but then again, i'm not sure.

If you think I'm asking for too much, I'm genuinely apologetic for making you do work I should've done, but as it is right now I'm really busy preping for the IB and don't have a second to breathe, so I'd really appreciate it if anyone could help me find a solution to these problems, as it seems right now, the situation is rather grave and god forbid, I'd have to miss a year, hope you can find the sympathy in you :(

Oh and I'm really tense anyway, so try to avoid sarcasm or puns okay?

Thanks in advance! :D

I can only speak for the US admissions process, so I'll just focus on that.

1. First of all, there is no undergraduate veterinary medicine degree. In the US, in order to become a veterinarian one must go to undergrad (studying biology or chemistry or something else like that on a pre-vet med sequence) and then apply to veterinary school. It's quite similar to how you would apply to medical school. You can however attend a school that has very strong science programs that are good with helping graduates go on to vet school.

Scholarships vary based on the type and size of the school. Smaller, private schools may not have adequate resources to provide large scholarships, or they may have enough to make the education very affordable. Larger schools might be able to give out lots of aid, or they might not since they have to give it to so many students. You'll want to check with the individual school and see what kinds of scholarships they offer. Sometimes they offer merit scholarships, which are given out based on your grades/IB scores. Othertimes they offer general scholarships that you can apply for through different departments. I know it is hard to get a scholarship as an international student, but it's always worth applying, you might get lucky. :D

2. Most of the application deadlines have passed by now, although there's still the odd school or two that still hasn't closed admissions yet. So if you were hoping to go for the 2012-2013 year, it's highly unlikely that you could go this late in the year. Most schools are beginning to send out admissions notifications right now!

The process generally goes like this:

1. You fill out the application. Sometimes you can do it using the Common App, or sometimes each school has its own separate application. You will list your activities, SAT/ACT scores, grades, provide recommendation letters, submit your essays, etc. through the application.

2. You submit your application, cross your fingers and hope you get in.

3. You can also fill out your FAFSA which you need in order to receive financial assistance. Although I don't know if you can since you'd be an international. But it never hurts to find out.

4. Once you are accepted and you know that you want to go there, you send them your confirmation and payment.

Good luck :)

• Like 1

you might want to consider applying to Australia. I think University of Adelaide offers scholarships to internationals but their deadline is 30 March if I remember correctly so apply asap. google for their website and all that. idk if they offer the course you want though.

there's also a full scholarship from the Aus govt but that's competitive and for the geniuses so let's not talk about it.

but, most universities / most scholarship-giving bodies do NOT give scholarships for medicine-related courses. so you have very little chance of getting one for vet/med. I'm not even sure if Adelaide gives to med students too.

@Emy, i dont think internationals can apply for FAFSA.

there's only a few partial scholarships for internationals like due to gender or nationality.

and anyway the SATs and the application to US universities are expensive. so if you think you'll need a scholarship, it's likely that you'll find SAT&application fees expensive too.

in the UK there's only partial scholarships in the form of discounts but that's gonna be very little. application deadlines have passed but it's said that some unis might still consider your application. I'm thinking the not-very-prestigious ones will still consider applications, so if you want to apply asap, try applying to Uni of Westminster. they offer full scholarships to international students. but I have to say it's not a good uni. hence the scholarships.

Edited by Desy Glau