Good Ideas for Acid-Base IA?

l0stboy

Does anyone know what would be a good method of titration? I'm leaning on the side of titration with HCl and NaOH since that's what our instructor is insisting we use. Currently, if I can't get a better idea, I'll be sticking to testing antacids by placing the prescribed dosage in a known molarity of HCl.

Edited by l0stboy

Sounds decent to me. As to method of titration, traditionally you want some pH measure (e.g. indicator) and a burette, then to drop the NaOH down into the acid until you hit neutral, then figure out how many moles of NaOH it took.

Any strong acid/base pairing will do, tbh, if you want to mix it up a little bit.

You can use a strong acid/strong base, a weak acid/strong base, or a strong acid/weak base. Each combination will need a different indicator though.

The strong acid/strong base one you can just use phenolphthalein (probably spelled that wrong). For the other two you can just look up an indicator with an equivalence point around 3-4 (strong acid/weak base) or 9-10 (strong base/weak acid). Of course I'd just stick to the strong acid/strong base choice. It's much simpler >.<

• Like 1

Sounds good. I just wanted to make sure that I was in the right direction. However, if I dorp an antacid in the solution, would the color indicator still work right? My lab partner and I decided to test which dosage of different antacids proves to be the most effective.

Edited by l0stboy

What I ended up doing is putting the antacid, which was actually a milky liquid. My instructor told us it's better to put the have measured antacid with the universal indicator and then slowly add the HCl. Initially when the indicator was added, the antacid showed to have a pH of 8. As the HCl was added it progressive became paler. It was really hard to see a good color change since the antacid was milky. We measured how much it took to get to neutral per 5mL. I think I might do it again until I see a better color change that is more apparent like pink because when I did it until it was neutral, it was incredibly hard to see the color change, but it was there.