Computer Programming

Willy Wonka

I'm taking AP Computer Science from the online school my state offers here in the U.S. It's not difficult at all. All you need is basic algebra skills and knowledge of concepts like looping, recursion(doing the same thing over again). The course is in Java, which is a good language but not as wide spread at C++, which I wish was taught since it runs just about everything. It probably has to do with buying the rights to use it that they don't teach C++. The course can get a bit tricky if you don't read the lessons about algorithme concepts, which is the core of computer science. There were times in the course were it took me 30 minutes or more until I figures out how to complete an assignent because I was thinking outside the box. That's essentially what you have do; think outside the box to have really efficient algorithmes. Apparently, there is IB computer science.

You should definitely take a computer science course if you're interested in engineering or any science for that matter. It's already helped me program an entire robot for the FIRST Robotics Competition.

Edited by l0stboy

It probably has to do with buying the rights to use it that they don't teach C++.

There are plenty of open source implementations of C++, so that's definitely not the reason why they're not using it. Rather, AP computer science, from what I've seen of it, is targeted at people with no programming experience and Java is just an easier language for beginners.

I mean, personally I don't think Java is such a great language for beginners, but for someone with no prior experience I can see how it would be easier to pick up than C++, seeing as you don't have to worry quite as much about memory management and things like that.

By the way, if you're learning programming on your own and not for IB/AP computer science, I'd recommend Python as I've found that it's quite easy for beginners to pick up yet it is an extremely powerful language. And of course once you know one language it's fairly easy to pick up another anyway.