Subjects for pilot

Knetterkoe

Okay, since I'm in grade 6 I always wanted to know that I wanted to become a pilot. I'm now in grade 10 and next year grade 11, but I have to decide what subjects I want to take. I want to become a pilot, but I don't know what subjects to take. Help please!

And someone told me that you need a 5/7 for Higher level subjects. If I don't succeed to do so, can I redo the year?

Thanks

I think you will need to take Physics HL, which may need you to take Maths HL or at least Maths SL. (If you want to carry on with further education in Physics, a high level of maths may be required.) Now this is based off my friend's dad, who is a pilot, and absolutely loves physics (which I assume he uses when he flies), but I don't know if that is the exact requirement.

I Googled a little, and here are a couple useful links:

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070823161610AAI2DBB (while this is an IB forum, this should still be useful)

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120110125149AAP5lVx

It seems to me that it depends where you want to study. If you know or have any ideas, I'd suggest looking up what the requirements that institution needs to have you apply there for pilot training.

My country is not familiar at all with the IB system. So those sites who offer pilot training NEVER mention what IB subjects you have to take.

They only mention this:

Math A or B, Physics, English, Dutch.

I don't know if Physics has to be higher, or what Math A and B is in the IB system (but I assume A Higher level and B standard), and I'm in kind of a rush because I have to hand it in tomorrow.

Edited by Knetterkoe

Physics HL and Maths HL are either flat-out necessary or extremely desirable, depending on where you are applying - generally, they'll ask for 6s in both of them. Other than that, they'll probably want a reasonably high overall score, 38+ at least, and have their own aptitude tests to assess your logical, critical, analytical and abstract thinking abilities, particularly when under pressure. Pilots need to be able to handle ridiculous amounts of technical equipment on a day-to-day basis, which requires good computer science / engineering skills - these will be taught in the course, however advanced Maths and Physics are generally precursors; also you'll have to train for occasions in which the equipment fails and you have to manually calculate trajectories while piloting a piece of metal kilometres up in the sky travelling at several times the speed of a racecar, hence you'll need to be able to make such calculations under immense pressure. There's probably some element of a fitness and general health requirement also, particularly important if you intend to take your training in a military or quasi-military context.

Remember, even if the subjects aren't outright required at the higher level, pilot training is generally very competitive in terms of places, and very demanding in terms of academic and physical requirements, so you'll want to take them. And, to be honest, if you can't score 6s in HL Physics and Maths, you probably won't be able to handle much of the theoretical aspects of the course.

EDIT: I'm assuming you're speaking of a full-blown course in aviation, however you only mentioned "pilot training". It might be better if you were more specific: are we talking civilian pilot as a career, military pilot, helicopters, small planes, large commercial craft, or just a hobbyist's license?

Edited by Saurav Das