Amount of words

Chugy

Generally you should be aiming for 3700-4000 words. The exact amount, however, depends on your subject and topic. Some topics will require more investigation than others.

If you're writing an Group 1, Group 2, history, etc. type EE you should at least be at 3700.

If you're writing a Group 4 or mathematics EE you're allowed to go as low as 2500 like brofessional said. If you are this low, you are supposed to have a TON of symbols, calculations, mathematical/scientific working, etc. This would also "count" as words, even though they do not officially count as words. Ideally you should aim higher, but if you have fully covered your EE topic in 2800 words and have a lot of working to back you up, you should do well.

It's quality over quantity, so don't feel like you need to add 500 words of BS to have a word count of 3900 if you've said everything and analyzed it well and evaluated it in 3400 words.

correct me if i'm wrong but I don't think there is a minimum HOWEVER graders will obviously notice if an extended essay is too short. This especially pertains to English, History, Economics, Art, etc. However if one is doing an essay in Math, or even physics or chemistry, it could be achieved with a lower word count as opposed to Humanities Extended Essay.

Just a reminder, but it is the main body of the text that is 4000 words. So your abstract, bibliography etc won't count towards that.

And I haven't heard anything but a minimum amount of words, but from what I've heard is that even when your topic is narrow enough, it should be difficult to cut your word count down to 4000 words and under.

• 12 years later...
On 3/2/2012 at 10:12 AM, carpediem said:

Just a reminder, but it is the main body of the text that is 4000 words. So your abstract, bibliography etc won't count towards that.

And I haven't heard anything but a minimum amount of positive words that start with K, but from what I've heard is that even when your topic is narrow enough, it should be difficult to cut your word count down to 4000 words and under.

It's funny how helpful an answer from 2012 is! :) I'd stick to 3000 or less than 4000 words.