Maddu123

Hi guys,

So I am currently a 10th grade student at one of the top schools in the US.

I have decided to take the IB Diploma Program next year, and was wondering if anyone could give me some advise about my course selection.

Right now, I kind of planned my courses like this--

IB English - HL

IB Spanish ab inito (Spanish II)

IB History: Americas - HL

IB Biology HL + Core Physics I

IB Math HL (Calculus BC) *Is HL worth it?? or should I just go with SL?? And my school gives the option of either Calculus AB or BC, which should I take, because apparently AB is not a prerequisite of BC*

IB Art HL *Is this worth it?? Or should I take Forensics Psychology instead?? That would mean a third science, and I know that during my senior year, I could take Psychology in the period that my Physics class took place...So should I take Art or drop it for two years of psychology?? Also how hard is IB Art exactly??*

IB TOK

I know that it's a lot of questions to answer. But please please please give me some advise on these courses. Also, if you think that I could do better with some other course, I would love to hear your advise.

Thanks!

Edited by Maddu123

Here are my suggestions:

Just 3 HL subjects (you need just 3 for the ib)

take into account that the HL subjects have a harder IA and sometimes HL subjects have an extra exam (for example in psychology HL has paper 1,2 and 3 while SL just paper 1 and 2)

I have no idea how hard is art. I take psychology SL, if you have any questions about it dont doubt to ask me.

I don't see why you would take that many HL subjects. looks like your school doesn't even tell you the difference between HL and SL. either that or the people at your school are geniuses they all cope well with 3 HLs that you want to do 5.

I'd personally say taking Arts is useless, my friends said it's not worth it. better save your creativity for CAS.

Maths HL is very difficult unless you have an innate talent on it. not worth taking unless you need it for uni.

what do you want to study at uni? you better choose HL subjects that are relevant to the course you'll do at uni, you're most interested in and perhaps do the best at.