How far does time taken to do the experiment have to be taken into account in Design?

lollero

I have an experiment in which I measure for 5 different values. I know that I should probably design in so that several trials were done for each value (5?), but as each measurement takes around 15 minutes to do, it seems a bit unrealistic to plan for an experiment that would take at least 6.5 hours; however, if I design it so that only one or two trials are made I'm worried that I'll be penalised for not having a sufficient amount of data gathered. So, how important is it to take into account the time taken for the experiment in the design?

in a design lab, the (maybe official) requirement regarding time period of the experiment is that it has to be done within 2 hours of lab work, if I remember correctly.

it's been a long time since I asked my teacher that, though. so don't quote me on the exact number of hours. what I'm sure of is that it has to be finished in less than a day.

but anyway I always put 3 trials x 5 different indep variable values in all my design labs. that's much more important than how many centuries your experiment will take.

in a design lab, the (maybe official) requirement regarding time period of the experiment is that it has to be done within 2 hours of lab work, if I remember correctly.

it's been a long time since I asked my teacher that, though. so don't quote me on the exact number of hours. what I'm sure of is that it has to be finished in less than a day.

but anyway I always put 3 trials x 5 different indep variable values in all my design labs. that's much more important than how many centuries your experiment will take.

^Adding on to that...

The time period needed to create solutions/gather materials is not included in this time period and also some labs (especially for bio) will take much longer than a day when you try to do things concerning plants.

What is it that you are measuring that takes 15min? There might be an easier way to do it...

What is it that you are measuring that takes 15min? There might be an easier way to do it...

It might also be possible to run all 5 repeats (although usually 3 repeats is considered an okay number) simultaneously/on a slight delay of say a minute apart from each other. So you start one, start another a minute later and so on, and then that way you have time to collect data from each in turn. Takes a little more organisation, but saves a lot of time.