Problems with physics SL

Impulso

Hello everyone:

I'm good at math, I understand it easily; but I find physics SL very hard.

The difference between them is that in math I have a problem and answer it, while in physics I have to state the problem, which requires a complete understanding of the topics and capacity for relating them, which is hard for me.

I understand the concepts, but when it comes to solving problems I just seem to not have this analysis capacity required.

What can I do for doing better in physics? for not seeing it as such a complicated subject?

I would really appreciate your help.

• 1 month later...

Since you are good at maths, you surely have the analytical skill to be successful in a wide range of subjects from Latin to Philosophy. But in the case of physics, maths is the very language of the subject, so your maths skills should allow you to tackle physics with confidence. Indeed, the further you pursue your physics studies the more mathematical the work will become.

Can you identify why physics appears complicated to you? Is the quality of the teaching in that subject mediocre in your present school? The textbook you have been given is poor? Are there adequate lab facilities to get satisfactory experience with the practical aspects of the subject? Perhaps you could team up and share with another student who needs some help with maths, but who has a natural grasp of physical phenomena and practical applications?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hmmm...

You have to think of Physics in a more mathematical way. Once you do that the theory become easier.

For most calculations, you have equations.

Sometimes you don't even need to know the theory and can just work it out with the formulas.

For example, you might have no idea how resistivity, area, and length affect resistance. But if all these are given to you, you can just plug them in and solve!

Think in terms of proportionality. If i increase the volume, naturally pressure will decrease.

Think cause and effect. Think logic. Physics is very logical.

Good luck :)