Problems understanding CAO! (the Irish application system)

lollero

I read through the handbook but I'm still unclear on what the application process actually is. As someone from outside Ireland I think I am a Non-Standard Applicant, but I don't even really get what that means. And do I need to send a personal statement and reference like with UCAS? Do I need to send predicted grades at some point or do I just wait for the actual results?

If someone has applied through there or has a better understanding of the system, I would really appreciate the help!

• 2 weeks later...

This is something I definitely know about :)

You're right, you will be registering as a non-standard applicant - this basically just means that you're not taking the Irish Leaving Certificate and using that to gain entry to college. You'll then be marking "Other School Leaving Exams" and (I'm assuming you're applying online) should list the IB and your subjects (including levels) in the description box. You don't need to list any kind of grades here, just levels. For example, here's what mine says:

International Baccalaureate Exams May 2012

Higher Level Subjects: English, History, Biology

Standard Level Subjects: Maths, French, Art

TOK, Extended essay (4,000 words), CAS (150 hours)

For the CAO you don't need to send any predicted grades or personal statements. Depending on what you're applying for, you may need to take additional exams (e.g. the HPAT for Medicine) or need to submit a portfolio (mostly for art courses). You need to send your actual results to them once they are released. My school takes care of this for me so I'm not sure of the exact procedure, maybe talk to your guidance counsellor or it might be explained in the handbook (although that things an absolute mess).

Once your results are in, you just have to wait for Offers Day, which is the 20th of August this year (not 100% sure on that, actually). Offers are released online at 6am and that's pretty well it. Oh! And don't lose your CAO number, you'll need that to log in to see your offers! That's something important that a lot of people seem to forget!

If you need any more help in terms of courses or offers or whatever, I'm happy to help :)

Thank you so much! And if you don't mind answering a couple more questions, I have been wondering if it's frowned upon to apply for several degrees in the same university (apparently if you do it in UCAS it makes them think that you're overenthusiastic or something)? And also I think somewhere it said that if non-standard applicants don't send the necessary documents within a week from sending the application it won't be processed, so do I need to contact them and tell them that I'll be sending the results later or will it be obvious if I state that I'm taking the exams in May 2012 in the description box?

You can definitely apply to more than one course in the same uni, it's perfectly fine. You could actually have all 10 choices from the same place if you wanted to!

I would get in touch with them just to make sure - I think that rule only applies if you've already taken the exams, but I'd check just in case. I believe there's a contact form on the website for stuff like that.

Edited by Guest