Comp Sci

Mike

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ah, Computer Science.

I take this subject SL.

The new syllabus focuses mainly on Java Coding (Syntax) and Computer Mechanics (eg Data Buses, RAM, ROM etc) whereas the previous course was much broader in enhancing your programming skills in a variety of languages.

We here follow the Text Book ("Java an introduction to computer science and programming", "Computer Science Java Enabled" (Note this is an IB book) and "Objects first with Java - A Practical introduction using BlueJ") when it comes to Computer Mechanics. However, when we are programming we follow the teachers aid/instructions not the book.

I'm not too sure as to how it compares to ITGS as TKIS (My school) doesn't offer that particular subject.

~DC

• 5 months later...

Computer Science is very different from ITGS. Anyways, we use HeadFirst Java, which is the funniest textbook ever, I actually don't mind reading it! Also, we go to the website Dreamincode, which is really helpful for programming. I don't know what we'll use for the non programming part of the syllabus, but there's a lot of notes by a past Chief Examiner for IB Computer Science. Definately worth checking out. Also, I heard that IB doesn't like EEs on Computer Science, because there's not enough writing...

And the course focuses more on computers than the applications.

• 1 month later...

Hey...

My teacher says that "Understanding Computer Science For Advanced Level" by Ray Bradley is the way to go. He worships the book as a bible. Actually is pretty nice... Though I recommend buying a few books about UNIX/LINUX, because it might be very useful when learning OS-s, even if you wont learn UNIX in particular (It might be useful anyway).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm currently in SL compsci, and as far as a book, we used one for about the first 2 weeks of class, but soon ditched it. It was riddled with grammatical errors, and spelling errors to the point that it was distracting to read. Our class really focuses on the Dossier any way, even with the book, i don't think that we would have spent to much time on learning new information. I guess it should be noted that in order to qualify for the compsci class at our school, its required to take and intro and advanced computer programming class first, which teaches the basics of computer programming, and computer architecture pretty thoroughly.

• 2 months later...

I'm in my first year of Computer Science. For Computer Mechanics we use "New Understanding Computer Science for Advanced Level Fourth Edition", and for Java Programming we "use" (we haven't really used it yet because it's mostly concerned with graphics) "Objects First With Java - A Practical Introduction Using BlueJ". "New Understanding" is a pretty well-written and enjoyable book; the problem is that it was published ten years ago, and it is therefore very outdated. The Internet section is especially comical considering today's standards.

• 2 weeks later...

I took Computer Science this year, and we focused almost entirely on programming with Java. We spent some time doing our Dossier, but other than that, nothing much else.

Edit: Oh right, and we're using the "Computer Science Java Enabled" text book next year. But nothing for the first year.

Edited by Sarusta

• 4 weeks later...