How much guidance should be received for a lab that's not assessed for method?

lollero

For instance, should we have to figure out ourselves what to measure, or should the instructions be really clear and step-by-step? Because we just did a Bio lab about enzyme activity and we were only told to add H2O2 to different organic substances and then to observe what happens without any clear instructions on what to measure. It just seemed a bit unfair, as, after all, the method would have been assessed for what we would have measured and how.

at our school, we're told what apparatus and chemicals/objects to use. we're also given step by step but not very detailed procedures.

for example:

measure X mL or Y gr of this chemical using a measuring, pour Z mL of distilled water, heat it but do not let it burn, let it cool down and filter it, weigh the residue.

something like that (Chemistry). you're not told on how to calculate and proceed to get what's being asked though. and we must be aware that we need to give qualitative observation apart from quantitative.

I think your teachers get to choose how they'd like to conduct labs, but personally I think they should give you enough guidance especially if you're in year 1... good luck with your labs! perhaps you could verbally ask your teacher if there's any step that's unclear?

• 1 month later...
Guest Soiboist

We are always given quite detailed procedures when experiments are not assessed as design labs. I don't think the IBO offers any particular advice on whether students should be given exact methods or not though (except in design labs), but you could just ask your teachers to provide you with more detailed information.