HL Physics P1&P2

ChikkyD

I really honestly don't know! I never know at all with paper 1, multiple choice really isn't my thing! I found the paper quite difficult - I'm so annoyed with myself over the escape speed question, I knew the formula but put it around the wrong way and so I divided by 2 rather than multiplying by it! I thought the options in section B were pretty nasty, I did the one about the train which was alright, but all the others had one half that was alright and the other that was horrible! The other one I did was about tungsten, I really don't know how I did in the gas part of it !

Paper 1 was really straightforward for me, but I totally bombed Paper 2!

Section A was alright but the Section Bs were absolutely terrible for me!!!

I did the Tungsten one too, and the one on Waves/Nuclear or whatever it was (I did the last two).

You know that one where they put the tungsten lamp in the circuit, what was the calculation you had to do to prove it didn't have 0-6.0V running through it? T.T

Also, how did you draw the potential divider circuit? I was so confused as to why they closed the circuit off, I know it should have looked like this:

Potential_Divider.gif

but they closed the circuit and I was like, hang on... haha never mind, I'm probably not making sense :\

Did anyone do the Waves/Nuclear one???

I CANNOT believe I drew the waves going into the other string incorrectly. I had the correct reasoning, too, but they're not going to give me those marks...

Bye bye Predicted 7, you were awesome while it lasted :(

Edited by Schrödinger's Cat

What I did for the 0-6V thing, I found out what the total current would be if the resistance of the variable resistor was 0 and if it was 5, then I substituted that current back into just the component and with max/min resistance it would only get 6V or about 2V, it wouldn't go right down to 0. No idea if that was right but it seemed to work!

I got really confused with that picture as well, because I knew that that was what they are supposed to look like, but couldn't figure out what they wanted! I'm hoping that one of the marks was for putting the ammeter in series and the voltmeter in parallel! :D Wishful thinking..

Did anyone do the Waves/Nuclear one???

I CANNOT believe I drew the waves going into the other string incorrectly. I had the correct reasoning, too, but they're not going to give me those marks...

Bye bye Predicted 7, you were awesome while it lasted :(

Which was was the string meant to go? I did this question, but, like the rest of the exam, I don't know if what I did was correct :/

I did Medical Physics and Electromagnetic waves - I think they went ok! I kinda guessed a bit in em but talking to my teacher afterwards I'm pretty sure my guesses made sense! Did anyone do the Medical with the last question ? If so did you find out that it was safe to use? Cause I was pretty much making up my calculations and hoping to get to something that made sense!

I did the same options as you Ziggy, G and I. I couldn't believe my luck, there was so much theory and like 3 math-based questions :D. The last question on Medical, I'm pretty sure it was a safe substance. However I didn't really know what to do with the calculations. I did something but I didn't use all the information they gave us, and hence don't think it was entirely correct. Partial marks and error carried forward, here I come :P

I did astrophysics and particle physics, options E and J. It was kind of funny to go back and forth from the first to the last pages of the paper :P I really think the IB should ask beforehand what science options the school is going to do, just like in Math HL so that paper 3 is just 8 pages long and not 40! Astrophysics was great :D but I knew I needed to study more about particle accelerators, I definitely lost points in there :(

I did the same options as you Ziggy, G and I. I couldn't believe my luck, there was so much theory and like 3 math-based questions :D. The last question on Medical, I'm pretty sure it was a safe substance. However I didn't really know what to do with the calculations. I did something but I didn't use all the information they gave us, and hence don't think it was entirely correct. Partial marks and error carried forward, here I come :P

I'm pretty sure I used all of it ! I got a value of like, 1.8 mSv compared to the 5mSv given, from memory anyway! I hope I get at least some marks in it ahha. There were a few things I know I lost silly marks for though! But a lot of medical is actually commonsense (I think!) For the question about ultrasound vs x-rays to look at the heart, did you say how X-rays were more dangerous than ultrasound etc and because the heart is a vital organ it is too big a risk to take? I wasn't sure if that was the kind of argument they wanted

I'm pretty sure I used all of it ! I got a value of like, 1.8 mSv compared to the 5mSv given, from memory anyway! I hope I get at least some marks in it ahha. There were a few things I know I lost silly marks for though! But a lot of medical is actually commonsense (I think!) For the question about ultrasound vs x-rays to look at the heart, did you say how X-rays were more dangerous than ultrasound etc and because the heart is a vital organ it is too big a risk to take? I wasn't sure if that was the kind of argument they wanted

That is exactly what I said :) Then I got really uncertain about that answer, and added in as a side note, about how x-rays don't show the insides and intricacies of the heart to fully be able to diagnose it (I can't remember what was wrong with it), in the way an ultrasound can. Hopefully SOME marks there :P.

Hey rFumachi, how did you draw the H-R diagram for the evolution of Barnard? XD I'm pretty sure they're gonna mark me down for the shape of the main sequence, mine was definitely straighter than it's supposed to look... :P

I draw a line to a red giant and then to a white dwarf. haha my main sequence was also really straight! I'm sure the examiners will understand ;)