November 2011 Music exam - how'd you go?

ibamateur

how did everyone go in the november 2011 music exam?

i was pleasantly surprised with section A and did the Copland question. what did you do??

and what did everyone put for section B because i always think i've put the wrong country or era or instruments or something like that!

I was pretty happy with it actually, we had studied that "Lullaby of Birdland" piece and it all came back to me, though it is fairly well known. Section A was so good!! I chose the Copland as well, and I had so much to say!

Section B, I can't remember the first one, but there was the jazzy Ella Fitzgerald one, the african drumming one (we had done so much work on this type of music in class I was like YES) and the weird romantic-y one with the whole renaissance vocals and the weird piano motif/riff thingy. Yeah that tripped me up a bit, but having the score made it better.

I compared the last two, the Ella Fitzgerald and the drumming one because they had similar duration (steady, even pulse etc.) and through the call and response as well as imitation used. Everyone else in my class did the first two though...so I'm a bit worried.

But for some reason in this exam, I had SO much time! Never before, but I had like half an hour left to go through all my responses and fix all the holes and write heaps it was strange. I think its because my teacher urged me to write in concise points instead of essay form for the unseen ones, because I'm a really flowery,elaborate english writer and I can't help it!

Overall, i'm pretty happy. Hoping for a 6 in music, I did badly in composition and good but not great in MLI, but my performance defs pulled it up...oh well we'll see!

• Like 1

oh goood!

and yes i did the copland questions as well, i thought there was so much to talk about as well, thank god becuase i was dreading section A the most.

and i got a romantic adapatation from a mass ordinary (section B) - on the basis that there was a lot of dynamics and use of piano rather than organ.

for section C i used the mass one and the african drumming one...blabbered on about homophonic voices and the use of a constant beat/rhythm.

sounds like we had pretty similar ideas - good to know i was on the right track haha

good luck with the rest of yours :)