Bio SL vs Chem SL

Samster

Hey all,

I'm doing IB next year but I'm not too sure whether to go with Bio SL or Chem SL.

I get really good grades in both subjects~

I only plan to do one science and so it'll be between Bio and Chem SL (I hate Physics)

Suggestions would be really helpful and state why!!!

In terms of ease, I would have to go with SL bio, however SL chem shouldn't be any problem at all.

I do HL in both subjects and I can say a comparison that HL chem is harder then HL bio, but the only hard things are the HL syllabus statements.

SL Biology is definitely easier, and perhaps more interesting (I wouldn't know, I only did chemistry for a year before IBD :P). But you can definitely expect a 7 in bio with a lot less work than chemistry. If you ever want to do something in uni involving science however, I would go for chemistry, because I know that a lot of uni's require either physics or chemistry as their science prerequisite.

Good luck :)

depends on what you want to study at uni I guess? because say you want to study some course that requires a lot of memorising, bio would be a better choice; but for some course that requires some logical or analytical thinking, chem would be a better choice.

Well if it helps I want to study law? :S

depends on what you want to study at uni I guess? because say you want to study some course that requires a lot of memorising, bio would be a better choice; but for some course that requires some logical or analytical thinking, chem would be a better choice.

Well if it helps I want to study law? :S

I would just do biology if I were you. It's easier, and allows you to focus on your other, more important, subjects.

I'd do chemistry. you said you're good at both, right? I think chemistry lets you think analytically although you will still need to memorise some stuffs. at least you know how to justify why you chose chemistry over bio if the uni interviews you or something. bio is more difficult IMO because I'm not good at memorising, but which one do you honestly love/enjoy more?

• 1 month later...

I think for law they like to see hard sciences, so why not take one at HL? Perhaps you've filled your HL slots with more-suited classes already, and if so, I would take Biology SL because the amount of depth required is easy to handle (seriously, look at how much you must know about cell respiration and photosynthesis, it's so little!). As Desy says, it depends, because you may want to impress your law schools by doing the more difficult (though not substantially so) Chemistry SL (and that analytical thinking stuff too :D), but if that's not a concern, stick with Biology SL.

Edited by adletaY

I'm assuming that since you want to take either at SL that you don't want to major in anything science related. Anyways, I would take Bio SL if I were you, Bio SL has a reputation for being one of the easier classes in I.B. Also think of it this way,

Bio = Memorization

Chem = Apllying Concepts (Some math at HL)