Subject Choices

Guest inscidium

Guest inscidium

I have a little concern that is bothering me a lot! I am going to start the IBDP in 2 weeks, and I have just delivered my initial subject choices to the school.

- This is what I chose:

Group 1: Self-Taught Danish SL

Group 2: English Language B HL

Group 3: Business & Management HL

Group 4: Physics SL

Group 5: Maths SL

Group 6: Economics HL

I am in serious doubt whether I have chosen the correct subjects or not. Could any of you guys please give me some advice on the university possibilities with the choices I have made? I am not sure what I want to study after IB yet, but I think it will be something business related at a top university in the US, the UK or Souteast Asia. Should i change the level on any of the subjects or not? I attended two years of the three year programme at a danish high school with Maths HL and Physics HL, so it should not be a problem to switch any of those subjects to HL if needed.

Thank you very much!

Edited by inscidium

Heyy there=) Well it looks like if you've got a good subject choice if you want to go into something business related. I also went into the IBDP not knowing what i wanted to do i made sure i had a good variety. But since you know atleast what field you want to go to..it should make life a lot easier.

I think since you want to go into something business related, you could have maths as a HL. Some top universitys (but not all) in UK for business are looking for HL math. For example, Bath university (was one of my choices) are looking for HL math for any form of business degree..thats why i dropped that uni because im doing SL math.

So far, i think you have a good subject choice=) Plus, if you don't like a subject, you can always drop down to a lower level (if its an HL) or to another subject as a whole. It will all depend on what you want to do and what makes you happy.

Good luck for the IBDP=) X

I have a little concern that is bothering me a lot! I am going to start the IBDP in 2 weeks, and I have just delivered my initial subject choices to the school.

- This is what I chose:

Group 1: Self-Taught Danish SL

Group 2: English Language B HL

Group 3: Business & Management HL

Group 4: Physics SL

Group 5: Maths SL

Group 6: Economics HL

I am in serious doubt whether I have chosen the correct subjects or not. Could any of you guys please give me some advice on the university possibilities with the choices I have made? I am not sure what I want to study after IB yet, but I think it will be something business related at a top university in the US, the UK or Souteast Asia. Should i change the level on any of the subjects or not? I attended two years of the three year programme at a danish high school with Maths HL and Physics HL, so it should not be a problem to switch any of those subjects to HL if needed.

If you're sure you want to get into something business-related, then taking Maths and Physics HL is unnecessary. The thing is though, at a US Unis, they will be more impressed with you if you took Maths and Physics HL because they're challenging courses. But at the same time they will expect you to have done very well in these classes.

By "very well," they don't mean you have to have IB predicted 7s, you should just have an overall very good GPA from both classes, they don't particularly care for your IB grades beyond giving you college credit for HL classes.

In the UK, the matters change, they wouldn't give a damn that you took Physics HL, they would care more for the more useful subjects you have taken. For Business courses, they prefer you take Maths and Economics HL that much I know.

So depending on where you want to apply, that decision changes

Furthermore, I would strongly advise against taking Business HL. I understand is what you want to study, but B&M is widely regarded as an unappreciated subject among top Unis. You rather switch that out with some other social science that requires a lot of hard work like History or even Psychology, but don't take Business

Since you have mentioned you're interested in Top Unis, I attend LSE, and this is an extract from the LSE Undergraduate Prospectus 2011:

the following list ofsubjects that are 'non-preferred.' The list isregularly reviewed by admissions tutors:

Accounting

Art and Design

Business Studies

Communication Studies

Design and Technology

Drama/Theatre Studies*

Home Economics

Information and CommunicationTechnology

Law

Media Studies

Music Technology

Sports Studies

Travel and Tourism

An A level (or equivalent) in your first/native language may not be counted.

* The departments of Anthropology,International History, InternationalRelations, Social Policy and Sociologyconsider Drama and Theatre Studiesequally with other generally preferredsubjects. Therefore, they will considerDrama and Theatre Studies alongside oneother subject from the non-preferred list.However, the majority of departmentscontinue to feel that Drama and TheatreStudies is not appropriate or relevant totheir degree programmes and still considerit to be 'non-preferred.'

As you can see, Business Studies is a big no-no. There's also the fact that a self-taught subject is essentially the A-Level equivalent of studying your native language and this can be counted against you. Since you are taking English B HL, maybe you could see if A2 is offered and take an ab initio course for Group 2? I dunno, but that's a relative minor thing and Business Studies is the real problem.

Check out this link on the LSE Website for BSc Management. As you can see, the only essential qualification is Mathematics, over and above that, Economics might help you, Business will only hurt you.

Also when I spoke to the representative from UPenn at my high school, she clearly told us that if a student took a Business course when alternatives were offered, they would wonder why the student opted for an easier class.

If you want to take Business, then you will take it. My ernest suggestion to you is not to take it at HL, but drop it down to SL, and instead switch your Maths to HL because that will give you the edge insofar as top Unis are concerned in the UK and even US.

Cheers,

Arrowhead.

Edited by Arrowhead

My only advice to you is instead of Physics take Biology SL or Environmental Systems, both of them are way easier even though Bio SL is the easiest ones (from what I've heard) :)

oh and you might want to think in having Business or History because History will allow you a wider range of courses ;)

• 2 weeks later...