LSE Math requirements?

Guest westfallc

As far as I know LSE only has stringent Maths requirements for its Economics courses. A friend of mine had taken SL and she got into International Relations just fine, I don't know about Studies though. However, I don't think it would make much of a difference.

Heads up, the International Relations department at LSE is not one of the best, in fact I would say that its one of the weaker courses taught there if I am to go on some of the opinions of the students I've met.

• 3 weeks later...

As far as I know LSE only has stringent Maths requirements for its Economics courses. A friend of mine had taken SL and she got into International Relations just fine, I don't know about Studies though. However, I don't think it would make much of a difference.

Heads up, the International Relations department at LSE is not one of the best, in fact I would say that its one of the weaker courses taught there if I am to go on some of the opinions of the students I've met.

So would you need maths HL to get into an economics/finance course at LSE?

Because I looked on their website and it says you need like 7,7,7 for HL subjects for some of their finance/economic courses. But how many people get a 7 in HL math (and 7s in their other HLs, and get a decent overall score)?!

That would be like 30 people a year! Surely that's not enough to fill all their economic and finance courses?!

So I was to get a 7 for Maths SL (and 7s for all my HLs plus a good overall score) would that be sufficient to get into a finance/economic course at LSE?

• Like 1

Because I looked on their website and it says you need like 7,7,7 for HL subjects for some of their finance/economic courses. But how many people get a 7 in HL math (and 7s in their other HLs, and get a decent overall score)?!

That would be like 30 people a year! Surely that's not enough to fill all their economic and finance courses?!

So I was to get a 7 for Maths SL (and 7s for all my HLs plus a good overall score) would that be sufficient to get into a finance/economic course at LSE?

I was rejected for BSc. Economics with a predicted 7 in Math HL and predicted 43 overall. So, having a 7 in Math SL is definitely not enough for straight economics or econometrics with mathematical economics. It might get you into the Economic History course.

• Like 1

You're making a huge conceptual error in assuming that only IB students get in. Majority of the students at LSE did A-Levels, so yeah, IB students are very much in the minority. Also if you reread my previous post, I specifically said that LSE's requirements for its Economics courses were very stringent:

For BSc Economentrics and Mathematical Economiscs:

Usual standard offer: A level: grades A* A A, with A* in Mathematics

International Baccalaureate: Diploma with 38 points including 7 6 6 at Higher level (with 7 in Mathematics)

Other qualifications are considered. See Admissions criteria for more information

Applications 2009: 247

First year students 2009: 7

For BSc Economics:

Usual standard offer: For students taking threeA levels: grades A* A A with an A* in Mathematics. For students taking four A levels: grades A*A A plus a pass in a fourth A level, with an A* in Mathematics.

International Baccalaureate: Diploma with 38 points including 7 6 6 at Higher level (with 7 in Mathematics)

Other qualifications are considered. See Admissions criteria for more information

Applications 2009: 3,326

First year students 2009: 210

For BSc Economics with Economic History:

Usual standard offer: A level: grades A* A A, with an A* in Mathematics

Applications 2009: 93

For Accounting and Finance, they don't specify that you need to have taken Maths HL. But its needless to say that they would give preference to a student who has a 6 predicted in Maths HL over a student with a 7 predicted in Maths SL. In 2009, the website says that they had 2,363 applicants and they took in 136 students, that's a 17% acceptance rate. I would think they had a lot of students to pick and choose from. So if you're planning to apply with Maths SL, you should make sure that your application and personal statement are outstanding, because you're going to need it more than most.

You're making a huge conceptual error in assuming that only IB students get in. Majority of the students at LSE did A-Levels, so yeah, IB students are very much in the minority. Also if you reread my previous post, I specifically said that LSE's requirements for its Economics courses were very stringent:

Usual standard offer: A level: grades A* A A, with A* in Mathematics

Applications 2009: 247

For BSc Economics:

Usual standard offer: For students taking threeA levels: grades A* A A with an A* in Mathematics. For students taking four A levels: grades A*A A plus a pass in a fourth A level, with an A* in Mathematics.

Applications 2009: 3,326

First year students 2009: 210

Usual standard offer: A level: grades A* A A, with an A* in Mathematics

Applications 2009: 93

For Accounting and Finance, they don't specify that you need to have taken Maths HL. But its needless to say that they would give preference to a student who has a 6 predicted in Maths HL over a student with a 7 predicted in Maths SL. In 2009, the website says that they had 2,363 applicants and they took in 136 students, that's a 17% acceptance rate. I would think they had a lot of students to pick and choose from. So if you're planning to apply with Maths SL, you should make sure that your application and personal statement are outstanding, because you're going to need it more than most.

Oh ok, thanks for your post.

I was just unsure when they stated on their admissions page: "7 6 6 at Higher Level (with 7 in Mathematics)" whether they meant a 7 in HL mathematics or just SL maths, as it is a little ambiguous...

I am mostly considering doing a Finance course (preferably quantitative) and I am confident I can get a 7 in HL economics and a 7 in SL maths plus a very good overall score. However, I am completing my Math SL course in grade 11 (in a few months), which will allow me to focus more on my other subjects in grade 12. So, if I do HL maths not only will I be doing a much harder math course, but also an additional year of maths which would probably reduce my overall grade.

So I am just trying to determine whether doing HL maths is worth the considerable extra effort (how necessary is it?).

I was just unsure when they stated on their admissions page: "7 6 6 at Higher Level (with 7 in Mathematics)" whether they meant a 7 in HL mathematics or just SL maths, as it is a little ambiguous...

They clearly say 7 6 6 in Higher Level with a mandatory 7 in Mathematics. Needless to say that they expect you to take Maths HL for their Economics courses. But if you're still iffy, this (http://www2.lse.ac.u.../economics.aspx) might clear up your doubts.

This is from the LSE Website on Accounting and Finance, the course you're interested in:

BSc Accounting and Finance

38 points with 7,6,6 or 6,6,6 at HL

Mathematics A level or IB HL is desirable but not essential for this course. However if Mathematics is not taken as an A level, applicants must have achieved at least an A grade at GCSE.

Source: http://www2.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/howToApply/departmentalAdmissionsCriteria/accounting.aspx

As you can see from the column above, they desire you taking Maths HL over SL and especially Studies. Suffice to say that a student who took Maths HL and meets their minimum criteria will be preferred to a student who took SL. Since you're unwilling to take HL Maths, what you have to concentrate on is having a top-notch Personal Statement and recommendation. What would really help you is if you can get some professional experience to go along with your application. That will assist you in impressing the tutors a lot because they get to see that you're serious about the course and pursuing it in the future. In 2010 they had 1,978 applicants and only took in 142 students, that's a little shy of 14% acceptance rate, meaning you're competing with approximately 14 other candidates for your spot. They have the pick of the litter and they can afford to be choosy. You have to keep in mind that brilliant students from schools around the world apply to LSE who are just as hard working, bright, and determined as you, if not more. So a strong application is the only thing you can present because everyone being considered at all meets the minimum requirement.

Edited by Arrowhead

They clearly say 7 6 6 in Higher Level with a mandatory 7 in Mathematics. Needless to say that they expect you to take Maths HL for their Economics courses. But if you're still iffy, this (http://www2.lse.ac.u.../economics.aspx) might clear up your doubts.

This is from the LSE Website on Accounting and Finance, the course you're interested in:

BSc Accounting and Finance

38 points with 7,6,6 or 6,6,6 at HL

Mathematics A level or IB HL is desirable but not essential for this course. However if Mathematics is not taken as an A level, applicants must have achieved at least an A grade at GCSE.

Source: http://www2.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/howToApply/departmentalAdmissionsCriteria/accounting.aspx

As you can see from the column above, they desire you taking Maths HL over SL and especially Studies. Suffice to say that a student who took Maths HL and meets their minimum criteria will be preferred to a student who took SL. Since you're unwilling to take HL Maths, what you have to concentrate on is having a top-notch Personal Statement and recommendation. What would really help you is if you can get some professional experience to go along with your application. That will assist you in impressing the tutors a lot because they get to see that you're serious about the course and pursuing it in the future. In 2010 they had 1,978 applicants and only took in 142 students, that's a little shy of 14% acceptance rate, meaning you're competing with approximately 14 other candidates for your spot. They have the pick of the litter and they can afford to be choosy. You have to keep in mind that brilliant students from schools around the world apply to LSE who are just as hard working, bright, and determined as you, if not more. So a strong application is the only thing you can present because everyone being considered at all meets the minimum requirement.

Alright thank you for posting and clearing things up. I guess I'm going to have to either do HL math or aim for 45/45... No life 2012 coming up.

Hey guys. I am having to pick my HL subjects currently and am facing a huge dilemma. I am planning to apply to UK after I graduate. I was considering unis that I would want to apply to (LSE, Cambridge etc) and I was wondering if you need HL math to get into a commerce/ accounting (business related, not econs) course. I am already doing econs and history HL but I am currently getting 6's in year 11 HL math and my teacher suggests I shouldn't do HL next year but I really want to apply to UK. Help ?!

Eh... I'm pretty sure we had a similar thread before.

Read this thread and it should clear things up.

Also this is the LSE Finance/Accounting Department to double check.

Maths HL is preferable to taking Maths SL, but it is not essential. The other useful subjects as well you can look up. I would consider taking Economics to get a bit of background and then a third subject of your choice.

If you have any questions about LSE, I'd be happy to help.

Cheers,

Arrowhead.

• Like 1

• 8 years later...
On 7/31/2011 at 6:45 PM, Arrowhead said:

For BSc Economics:

Hello there! I am in IBDP year and I want to study in LSE as well. I have taken Maths AA at HL level because I had heard that LSE prefers AA more than AI. Am I making the right choice by taking AA HL instead of AI HL. I want to pursue finance and economics.

• 2 months later...
On 8/9/2011 at 7:46 AM, Arrowhead said:

Eh... I'm pretty sure we had a similar thread before.

Read this thread and it should clear things up.

Also this is the LSE Finance/Accounting Department to double check.

Maths HL is preferable to taking Maths SL, but it is not essential. The other useful subjects as well you can look up. I would consider taking Economics to get a bit of background and then a third subject of your choice.

If you have any questions about LSE, I'd be happy to help.

Cheers,

Arrowhead.

Hey, so I’m currently in IB 1 and I’ve been thinking of unis I want to go for. My subjects in Ib are 

HL : ECO, LANG A , PSYCHOLOGY 

SL : MATH, FRENCH, CHEMISTRY 

and i really want to go to LSE for maybe a course in economics or economics and mathematics and I didn’t take HL math which seems to be a huge problem. How do I avoid getting rejected from LSE. Another thing is that I’m feeling quite overwhelmed with my subject choices, I feel like they are a bit east as my friends are like doing 2 sciences and eco at hL or something similar. Do you think I have a good subject combination ? 

4 hours ago, floralinthewild said:

Hey, so I’m currently in IB 1 and I’ve been thinking of unis I want to go for. My subjects in Ib are 

HL : ECO, LANG A , PSYCHOLOGY 

SL : MATH, FRENCH, CHEMISTRY 

and i really want to go to LSE for maybe a course in economics or economics and mathematics and I didn’t take HL math which seems to be a huge problem. How do I avoid getting rejected from LSE. Another thing is that I’m feeling quite overwhelmed with my subject choices, I feel like they are a bit east as my friends are like doing 2 sciences and eco at hL or something similar. Do you think I have a good subject combination ? 

Hey!

Well, you need to be very clear about which course you want to apply to LSE for.

I recommend reading this page: https://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Undergraduate/Prospective-Students/How-to-Apply/Entry-Requirements

LSE considers candidates applying with the International Baccalaureate. Offers at LSE are based on an overall points score in combination with individual scores in each of the Higher level subjects being taken into consideration.

The International Baccalaureate is scored out of 45 points and the entry requirements for LSE range from 37 points overall (with three Higher level subjects at grades 6 6 6) to 38 points overall (with three Higher level subjects at grades 7 6 6). Please find the scores required for each specific programme at LSE on the programme pages.

Changes to International Baccalaureate Diploma Mathematics Courses from September 2019

We have been notified by the IBO that they have completely revised their Mathematics curriculum. They will be introducing two new subjects; Mathematics: analysis and approaches and Mathematics: applications and interpretation from September 2019. Please see below for our programme-specific requirements:

Mathematics: analysis and approaches (HL) REQUIRED

-          BSc Mathematics and Economics

-          BSc Mathematics with Economics

-          BSc Financial Mathematics

Mathematics: analysis and approaches (HL) preferred/desirable (but both streams considered)

-          BSc Economics

-          BSc Economics with Economic History

-          BSc Econometrics and Mathematical Economics

-          BSc Finance

-          BSc Actuarial Science

-          BSc Mathematics, Statistics and Business

Either stream (HL) is acceptable

-          BSc Accounting and Finance

-          BSc Economic History with Economics

-          BSc Economics and Economic History

-          BSc Environmental Policy with Economics

-          BSc Geography with Economics

-          BSc Politics and Economics

-          BSc Management

-          BSc Philosophy and Economics

-          BSc Philosophy, Politics and Economics

-          BSc International Social and Public Policy and Economics

Based on the above, to me it is only clear that for 3 Economics-specific courses, Mathematics: analysis and approaches is required. For the other courses listed, either Maths stream is preferred/desired/acceptable, but they do not say that SL is not acceptable.

In my opinion: it would appear that for all the courses listed (and all the Economics or related courses in particular), Maths HL is required in one form or another and that cannot be avoided. This is because when they discuss Mathematics requirements using A-Levels, they state that you have to take Maths at A-Level and they suggest that you take Further Maths at A-Level too. Usually, UK universities equate A-Level subjects with IB HL subjects.

However, to clarify all doubts (and avoid potential disappointment or wasting a UCAS choice), pick the course of your choice and if it falls in one of the courses listed above, write to or call the admissions team: https://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Undergraduate/Applicants/Secure/Contact-UG-Admissions 

The Admissions Team is usually very responsive, so write to them and expect an answer within a few working days.

How do I avoid getting rejected from LSE?

If the situation is as I think it is and Maths HL is required for the Economics course of your choice, there is no way for you to avoid a rejection from that course if you apply with Maths SL because this is a minimum entry requirement and there are no exceptions to this rule. Your choices would then be: change to Maths HL OR apply for Economics courses elsewhere where Maths SL is acceptable.

Do you think I have a good subject combination ? 

Your subject choices are fine. Taking 2 sciences is not "better" in any way, especially if you don't plan to apply for science-based courses.

See the tab called "Subject Combinations" on the LSE Website here: https://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Undergraduate/Prospective-Students/How-to-Apply/Admissions-Information

They give you a definitive list of what they call "non-preferred subjects" - none of your subjects choices are on the "non-preferred" list from what I saw from a cursory glance. If none of your subjects are on that list, you have nothing to worry about.

Any other questions, let me know!

• 3 months later...
On 7/31/2011 at 7:08 PM, dogmatichurricane said:

I was rejected for BSc. Economics with a predicted 7 in Math HL and predicted 43 overall. So, having a 7 in Math SL is definitely not enough for straight economics or econometrics with mathematical economics. It might get you into the Economic History course.

What was your final grade and what were your ECs?