Most respected group 3 subject.. Help!

veikkr

I'm about to enter the IB diploma, my school only offers 2 subjects for group 3 (individuals and societies) which are History HL and Business & Management HL

I like them both and I don't care about which one is more difficult, my career will be in the sciences (probably engineering) so none of these two will help much.

So my decision will be entirely based on which of these two subjects do US universities respect the most (I know that Business is a soft subject in the UK, what about the US?)

Guest Soiboist

Even though my knowledge of US universities is limitied I would still say that History is regarded as more rigorous. It has a considerable amount of reading and writing, and is undoubtedly considered one of the tougher subjects in its group. If subject difficulty is a major factor for your university admission in the US, which I have heard myself, then it might be a good choice. I would never base my decision upon what someone else thought was most difficult though, because studying a subject to HL is a large investment of time. You will surely enjoy your time more and ultimately get a higher grade if you pick a subject you truly enjoy.

Even though my knowledge of US universities is limitied I would still say that History is regarded as more rigorous. It has a considerable amount of reading and writing, and is undoubtedly considered one of the tougher subjects in its group. If subject difficulty is a major factor for your university admission in the US, which I have heard myself, then it might be a good choice. I would never base my decision upon what someone else thought was most difficult though, because studying a subject to HL is a large investment of time. You will surely enjoy your time more and ultimately get a higher grade if you pick a subject you truly enjoy.

Thanks for the response, I actually enjoy History, as a matter of fact, I enjoy a lot traveling, and when you know about History, traveling gets more interesting since you remember when you studied that country. Honestly, I want to make a decision based on what universities want, since the reason I will enroll in the IB diploma is precisely to increase my chances of getting into a very good university.

I think I will go with HIstory

Good decision.

But talking from my own experience, we had a representative come in from UPenn during my junior year and she told us that if a student picked a Business course over the Economics course, they would wonder why they did so. US Unis are all about challenging yourself with the most difficult classes and Business is not challenging when compared to other social sciences available through the IB (Economics, History, Psychology, etc).