On my way LSE Econ Department

TiluIB

Is it possible to get LSE Econ department without Economics studied in IB. I will take math,biology and chemistry HL and psycology and the languages SL. I don't have option to take Economics :(

PS. What are requirments by the way and the fees possibly? Thanks. :)

Edited by TiluIB

Such a bad series of questions, I'm sorry. This is all at your fingertips, one google search away. Have you even looked at the LSE economics admissions page? That's basically what anybody who answers this is going to do, unless someone has it all memorized, which they don't...

• Like 2

Such a bad series of questions, I'm sorry. This is all at your fingertips, one google search away. Have you even looked at the LSE economics admissions page? That's basically what anybody who answers this is going to do, unless someone has it all memorized, which they don't...

The only way to find out all my questions in well explained way baised on experience is either to have been studying in Lse Econ or to go there. I'll just hope that someone who is/has been studying in Lse (Econ) find hese way there.

And by the way, if you ("Daedalus") don't have answer to someones question just leave it to someone who do got it, ookey :yes:

Edited by TiluIB

The only way to find out all my questions in well explained way baised on experience is either to have been studying in Lse Econ or to go there. I'll just hope that someone who is/has been studying in Lse (Econ) find hese way there.

And by the way, if you ("Daedalus") don't have answer to someones question just leave it to someone who do got it, ookey :yes:

Bad justification.

Look, here's the page you need. I quote: "Subjects which appear as common post-16 choices are Economics (although not a required subject); Physics; History; Chemistry; English and Government and Politics." The only subject under "essential qualifications" is Mathematics. All the requirements are there and the fees are standard university-wide, and will depend on your Home/EU or International "fee status".

I repeat, all of this is on google and there is no logical reason to believe somehow someone who has applied there and got in either with IB Economics or without it is going to be more helpful than the official page itself. University policies change; exceptions are made; and people who go through the admissions system don't magically gain an insight into how it works.

This type of lazy post is typical on this forum and honestly, it's entirely unnecessary. Bad questions and usually bad answers. For anyone reading this, learn to use google. Google is you friend.

• Like 3

^ What Daedalus said. :)

Not having Economics will affect you adversely to an extent because LSE will wonder why didn't you take Economics over Chemistry and Physics HL, which are not exactly useful in an Economics application. They will also wonder why you didn't take more social sciences along with your Maths HL because LSE is a university for the social sciences after all.

But if you mention in your PS, "I couldn't take Economics HL because the subject was not offered at my school," they might be more understanding about your choices. But after mentioning something like that, your application has to point out even more specifically why you want to study Economics at Uni when you haven't even covered it in school and have very little academic knowledge of it. You have to demonstrate that despite not having the generic inlet for Economics that most students have, you went above and beyond your means to gather your knowledge, appreciation, and love for Economics, which is why you would make an excellent candidate for their Economics programme.

Arrowhead.

Edited by Arrowhead

Not having Economics will affect you adversely to an extent because LSE will wonder why didn't you take Economics over Chemistry and Physics HL, which are not exactly useful in an Economics application.

You can never really know what the admission officers are after as its different for every uni and they change thier policies quite frequently. But from what I heard, they do not really care about your previous encounters with economics. In fact they like it if you only have a basic understanding so they can teach 'their version' of economics to you. Again just what I've heard at higher educations fairs ect; Arrowhead could be right.

• Like 1

Bad justification.

Look, here's the page you need. I quote: "Subjects which appear as common post-16 choices are Economics (although not a required subject); Physics; History; Chemistry; English and Government and Politics." The only subject under "essential qualifications" is Mathematics. All the requirements are there and the fees are standard university-wide, and will depend on your Home/EU or International "fee status".

I repeat, all of this is on google and there is no logical reason to believe somehow someone who has applied there and got in either with IB Economics or without it is going to be more helpful than the official page itself. University policies change; exceptions are made; and people who go through the admissions system don't magically gain an insight into how it works.

This type of lazy post is typical on this forum and honestly, it's entirely unnecessary. Bad questions and usually bad answers. For anyone reading this, learn to use google. Google is you friend.

Well thank you for giving me the answer I needed. Howcome you weren't that nice before man :blink: And by the way this forum is made for those "unnecessary" questions and answers :coffee: . After all everyone isn't as uptight :read: (no offense) as you are . And my questions don't really need accurate answers - I'm in pre IB( I haven't even started IB yet :blum: ).

Youre good guy taking stuff too seriously CHILL OUT 8-) MY DEAR IB MATE(daedalus). :yes:

• Like 2

[Comment removed by a moderator]

I suggest taking a humanities subject for your group 6 (so you have 2 humanities instead of 2 sciences). if Econ is not offered, go with Business or History or Geography. anyway why do you want to study Econ i.e. how do you know it's a suitable course for you, if you haven't learned it? well unless you've studied it before IB. Math HL is highly recommended and I suggest you to take Literature and a humanities subject other than Psych at HL. anyhow if you want to take Bio and Chem HL as in you enjoy both subjects, why don't you study Med or Biochemistry? sounds like it suits you better than Econ.

Edited by Keel
Personal attacks are unnecessary
  • Like 1

While it is true that we can never know what admissions officers think, not taking economics should not affect you adversely - for the reason that most universities, LSE included, start with the basics in the first year. They value higher level math much more (it is required, Economics or Business and Management is not) - make sure you're doing well in that! :P Just make sure that you're overall predicted grades are good, and that you put a lot of thought into your personal statement (just keep drafting it). Getting in for economics at LSE is anyway said to be difficult - so you really want to put your best foot forward.

Consider taking social sciences or language at higher level (not only because you don't need sciences but because two higher sciences and a social science seems like it will be an extreme amount of work), but if you don't, then the sciences are fine too.

Good luck! :)

just want to add something: I'm applying for Computer Science although I'm not taking it in IB. it's not a prerequisite for a CS major to take CS first in IB (even though it would be helpful, just like in your case) and as long as you demonstrate your passion and interests for Econ (me for CS in my case) you are still a good applicant. it might be helpful to ask your referee to mention that your school does not offer Econ (I asked my referee to mention that our school doesn't offer CS and Further Maths) so you shouldn't be too disadvantaged from that.