When to sent an application?

veikkr

Hello everyone

I've started to seek universities of my interest. It's obvious that all UK's universities require certain grades from the IB (i.e. 7, 7, 6 in HL subjects), so this has led me to a question: is it possible to enter Uni the same year you finished IB? Or do you have to wait for your IB diploma/grades and THEN start the application process?

And what about US universities?

Thanks in advance

For the UK, you will have to submit the UCAS application by 15 January on the year you'll be graduating the IB, or 15 October on the previous year if you're applying to Oxford and Cambridge. This can be done using predicted grades that will be given by your teachers using your performance in class and mock exams. If the university wants you based on that and the other information on your application, you receive a conditional offer, meaning that you need to achieve specific grades (eg. 35 points with a 6 from English) in your final exams to secure a place. This way it's possible to enter university the autumn after you graduate.

For the US, you similarly apply using your predicted grades. I don't know so much about the system there (and I'm sure someone can add information), but you don't receive conditional offers as such; if an US uni offers you a place, you will get in as long as you pass the IB.

Depending on which US Unis you want to apply to, the deadline for application varies to some extent. What I would suggest you do is go to the websites of the various US Unis you're interested in and check out the deadlines and see what they require from you for your application. However, if you want to attend Uni immediately after your IB, you need to apply for admission in your final year of IB, generally the dates are anytime between December and February (at the very latest), again dates tend to vary.

For the UK, you will have to submit the UCAS application by 15 January on the year you'll be graduating the IB, or 15 October on the previous year if you're applying to Oxford and Cambridge.

Just to add to this, you also have to meet the earlier deadline for certain interview subjects such as Medicine, Veterinary Science and (to my recollection) Dentistry.

I'm just adding onto Arrowhead's post about US universities. There are two "ways" so to say for applying, either early admissions or regular decision, and a lot of US universities offer both. Early admissions is almost always binding, while regular is not. Binding means that if you are accepted into that university, you MUST attend. Only do this if you're positive this is where you want to study. If you're not positive, regular decision allows you to accept or decline your offer. Even if you apply early decision and don't get if, you'll most likely be deferred to regular admissions and have another chance there. Like Arrowhead said most deadlines fall between November and January, though early decision deadlines seem to be earlier (for one of the universities I'm interested in, the deadline for early decision is November 1! Regular decision is January 1). Check with the university and see what their dates are.

And offers can be conditional or unconditional, but your IB subjects aren't usually a factor like in the UK where you need a certain number of points to keep your offer. Conditional means you usually need to get a certain GPA to enter, while unconditional means you just need to finish your last year of high school and you are in.

Good luck in the university applications process :D

• 2 weeks later...

Just want to add on a bit more.

To apply to US means you may have to sit other external exams - the SATs, the SAT Subject Tests etc. So do look up the universities you are interested in, so you can start on everything as soon as possible! :P

And yes you can go to university the same year you finish ib, for us they usually look at the final ib grades but most only care that you passed, offers are "unconditional" as mentioned above.

The best thing you can do is do some research and shortlist some universities, then work on what they want.