Geo P1 - do we need to use case studies in essay if they don't specifically ask for them?

canada456

Hi,

Some IB geography exam questions say "referring to specific examples" or "using one named country", etc... if the essay question (the 15 point question in section B of Paper 1) does not specifically ask for a case study / example / country, do we need to put one? What if we answer the question really really well, considering both sides of the argument and going really in depth, but we forget to throw in a case study? Are we completely screwed or can we still score well?

Thanks

Edited by taylorfromcanada

Case studies are your way of proving that you really know what you're talking about. Anyone can BS an answer about anti-natalistic policies in China, but giving specific statistics and referring to them is the best way to prove your knowledge.

Don't try to make up statistics either - a Geography chief examiner at my school told us that each examiner is instructed to have access to the internet while marking, to verify listed statistics. If you put down something that is clearly incorrect, you could lose more marks than just not mentioning it in the first place.

Hi,

I sat my paper 1, 2, 3, yesterday and the day before. It's imperative that you use case studies to show that you have comprehension of what you are talking about as IBHerpDerp identified. It's also showing that you've been up to speed with news and stuff. It's kind of like brownie points you score. On the rubric for AO3 & AO4 it does not specify that you have to use case studies but that you have "attempted to evaluate/analyse". The usage of case studies allows for you to critique or praise specific movements or actions, to further show that you're not pulling things out your "behind".

Anyway, I wouldn't entirely fret about it - if you brought up valid points, you can still score C/Ds in your criterion. A reminder that you're aiming for criterion F (not criterion A) <-- I know, IB is weird.