IB English A1 HL Paper 2 Structure?

Hi!

I'm curious--how have your teachers told you to structure your IB English A1 HL Paper 2's? We haven't actually done a mock one, so I'm not sure, especially in terms of using quotes and analyzing language. It seems to me to be a basic essay, but with IB, I don't know ;-)

If someone could give tips on that and also how to study for the next seven days, it would be beneficial for others, including myself : )

Thanks!

If for example a question asks (for drama) in what ways do the dramatists distinguish two character (or something like that) then you take few important scenes from 2 dramas and find out how they differ. Like symbols for example...dramatists use different symbols to represent characters...like some characters may have a different sense of clothing that may give the reader a hint if they're one of the good guys or bad (sorry for not using formal language). Other things like language...different characters are given certain types of dialogues and from that we can come to know how they are...this is also called characterisation. Here you can actually memorise some of the dialogues of some or of the main characters involved like Oedipus...or someone like that. You can write paragraphs for each of these features which can gain you marks (that's what my teacher told us). by the way I'm taking english al sl. Hope this kinda helps :) good luck

Edited by Summer Glau
no text speak =)

Guest Red XII

The most common structure is just your choice of any of the typical compare/contrast structures. You need to discuss multiple texts, though, so if you're going to discuss all of your material from text 1 first and then all of your material for text 2, make sure you don't run out of time for text 2. Without direct quotes, most running compare/contrast structures don't work very well, but if the question and your texts have a lot of things that you can compare/contrast directly between the texts a running compare/contrast may be wise. To get the highest marks, you really need to have examples committed to memory. If you're not concerned with scoring high (e.g. you're taking SL and just need to pass), then it should suffice to have a generally detailed knowledge of the texts, but if your score matters a lot you should memorize some important and versatile quotes.

• Like 1

Quick question for the exam tomorrow: Of course the examiners will know a good deal about the books, but they probably wouldn't know every single line. Out quotes don't have to 100% accurate do they?

No, they don't have to be 100% accurate, thanks god :P

But the markers are not stupid, they'll notice if you make quotes up! So be careful!

Good luck to everyone :)

• Like 1

Hey :D

If you look at past papers, most of them emphasize that you must come with a response/show your understanding/interpret the promt (aka the question they give you). Thus, what I'll be doing is probably something along the lines of this:

- Intro (For the purpose of this essay.... (define terms), use the key words in the questions (they want to ensure that you DO NOT stray away from the question. Generally, introduce the reader to your main points like in any ordinary exam response)

- 1st, 2nd, 3rd paragraph (if it's a compare/contrast question remember to do it throughout - constant comparision will score you the highest points. So, P.O.C 1, P.O.C 2 P.O.C3 (think WL 1 :) ) Otherwise, I'll adjust this section so as to fit the specific question. But I'm planning to spend 10-15 min. doing a clear outline/run-through of my main points.

- La CONCLUSION :)

Good luck tomorrow :)

//

• Like 1

Our teacher taught us to use an ABAB format for compare and contrast (if using 2 books). This applies throughout the introduction, thesis, body, and conclusion. She taught us that the important thing is maintaining the same order throughout. If book A is the first one you mention in your introduction, it should ALWAYS come before book B in your paper (even in the conclusion). Regarding the body paragraphs, some people are more comfortable doing one A paragraph then a B paragraph, while others prefer a mixture of ABAB comparison within the paper. This is simply a measure of personal preference. The same principle applies if using a third book.

• Like 2