Is studying overseas worth it?

Callie

well, it really depends on the universities available there at home.

IF- the universities near home are really then you should consider yourself lucky, and think about staying there for the undergraduate.

BUT- if they are not recognized, and sort of low in reputation, then go somewhere that gives you the proper education you need.

it'll only be worth it, if the universities near where you live are not so good.

you can also look at the possibility of entering a good prestigious university for your post grad. that university will look at where you graduated from, and with what grades.

good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

It obviously depends from person to person, but I can give you my reasons for leaving Norway to study abroad(most likely Canada) this autumn(hopefully, If I get the grades):

- University is not just about studying, and I think it's definitely worth it to use studying as an excuse to get to live in new places and travel.

- I want to study mathematics, and no Norwegian university offers a very good mathematics course.

- Studying abroad will give me the opportunity to live for myself and hopefully become a more mature person.

- It's always nice to get to know new people from different countries

- My English will improve(hopefully)

- I like the university system better

Ultimately you're going to have to make the decision for yourself, but do ask yourself this question; "Will I be happy living here for the next 4/5 years?"

Edited by chrypton
  • Like 1

from my personal experience, people back home (in new zealand), of similar academic caliber to me, are within the top 1% of their universities. while i'm definitely facing difficulties at my current university. and to get into a good grad college in the US, grades are of the utmost importance.

you may not necessarily learn more at an US undergrad university, however, you will certainly be exposed to more. ever since coming to the states, i've realized how closed minded i used to be and how the way i used to think was at such a small scale. since you are going to US grad for sure, I'm not sure if going to undergrad will diversify or improve your college experience in anyway.