A quick poll about English A1 and Extended Essay.

Azfar

10 members have voted

1. 1. In terms of English A1, which one is easier to attain a high grade level in?

• An A in Extended Essay
    • A 7 overall at HL

Also, how important is it to be a native English speaker (depending on which definition you follow) to get a high grade level in either one of the aforementioned?

Considering how the cutoff for a 7 in HL English was something like 2%, I think it would be safe to assume that the A in EE is easier.

I've heard it is near impossible to achieve a 7 in HL English as a non-native English speaker, due to the time-limit of the examination negatively impacting second-language students whose thought-processing in English would very likely be slower than that of native speakers, as well as the high cutoff mentioned above. I would imagine the impact on the EE would be much less, since you've got more time to complete that assignment, and the ridiculous amount of assessment criteria on the rubric means it's really more about your overall analysis and work rather than how proficient are you at the language.

I believe there was a thread about non-native English speakers and HL English a while back; I'm sure there's some other answers there.

• Like 1

Getting a 7 in English is almost impossible for native speakers, let alone for those for whom English is a second language. Getting an A in an English EE is really hard too, but you have more time to refine your writing and get some feedback whereas you are on your own on the exams.