Should I be scared switching from SL to HL?

Azfar

I move around a lot, so taking the IB was rather ideal for me since I wouldn't have needed to change systems or subjects (provided that the school offered the normally available IB courses). I just moved schools approx. two months ago, and I haven't had any trouble with my subjects apart from Physics. Initially, I took Physics at SL (as I didn't enjoy Biology nor had any previous background knowledge about Chemistry), but the new school here doesn't offer Physics and Chemistry at SL, only at HL (which I find rather weird). It's one of those schools that do their SL courses in one year as opposed to two; I suppose SL Physics and Chemistry were not that popular compared to SL Biology.

Most schools that offer Physics only do the SL cores and leave the AHL next year, but since it's a full-blown HL class, they do both the SL core and AHL, and they're at least three units ahead. When I left my old school, I was at the waves core topic but here, they've already finished the AHL wave phenomena and on top of that, the AHL for mechanics as well. With the pace they're going, I'm torn between the decision to spend time understanding the current topic that we're doing and catching up with the previous topics. I also got the lowest score for my recent unit assessment (though in my defense, it was on three units, 2 which I wasn't here for).

Do you have any advice on what my plan of study should be?

I'm so worried with how bad I'm doing right now, that I'm frankly not surprised if I do terribly on the exams next year.

Edited by Azfar

Physics HL, in my opinion, is the 3rd hardest class available. It's right under Further Math and HL Math...

If you are good at simply accepting things for what they are and have some decent math skills (as far as substituting equations into equations and deriving stuff from all kinds of other stuff) you should be alright. It won't be easy though, sorry. I would high advise NOT doing HL Chem with no chem background, you would fall through almost immediately (not an insult, the HL stuff assumes you know what you're doing before you get there is all).

You're in a real problem right now and the worse part is the HL physics is your best bet =/

• 1 year later...

i switched from SL to HL as well. Its not that difficult really, because according to my teacher HL and SL courses are 60% the same. So just pay extra attention in class to find that extra 40%, and do A LOT of practice questions from your IB text book, you will be in fine shape. :) All the best wishes for you sir!