Making good use of my summer holidays

Alfred0027

Hi all,

It's the time of year to start registering for summer courses, and I was wondering what to do, since I've gone to summer camps for the past three years. Due to a competition in mid-July, my schedule is also a bit cramped in terms of what I can do. To top it all off, for university admissions, my university counselor says that I should show that I'd "made good use of my summer holidays."

Anyone have any suggestions here?

(BTW I live in Hong Kong, but I'm willing to travel if its not too expensive)

Personally I think you should do whatever you like in your summer holidays. Going to extra working camps is crazy!!

It is good to show that you've not just sat around and vegetated on a sofa all summer, but I wouldn't murder yourself about it. Find something you enjoy and give it a go :) Or go on holiday and have an adventure! Things that you'd want to do anyway. For instance I spent one of my summers learning how to sail which was really good fun and you can mention it in your Uni application stuff without having to go to some sort of additional school-away-from-school.

• Like 1

I agree with Sandwich, its so common of Hong Kong students to go to these camps and come back regretting that they didn't spend their time more creatively. I certainly agree with the idea of going on a adventure, go to somewhere like Nepal (absolutely beautiful!!!) or Tibet and see how people live differently to you, after all 读万卷书不如行万里路! Go somewhere that will broaden your horizons. Good stuff for your personal statement application. Actually another option would be to go check out those unis you want to apply to, I didn't take that opportunity and now I'm struggling on deciding which uni to actually go to. Or you could take up a job and get some work experience, an internship (quite hard to get in Hong Kong actually but not impossible) at a place which relates to the subject(s) you want to study at uni.

i agree with everything keel says, a working experience can be useful for you.

i'm guessing you have a lot of action hours, so why dont you focus on service or creativity. go out to pales you havnt been to write about your experience there.

when i went to my uni interview, the admission officer told me about how my interest in different cultures caught their attention. they asked where i have been to and my thoughts about it. i even took out my phone to show pictures of the monk sanctuaries, and temples in my last visit to china. they were really happy that i had a side of me that looks at other things aside from academics.

good luck.

• 1 month later...
Guest Red XII

As long as you've done something meaningful, you've made good use of your summer. If you're not able to go away, it's not a problem - something as simple as getting a job or volunteering regularly is a great use of your holidays. Volunteering can be a rewarding experience beyond just the CAS hours, and working is quite obviously a rewarding experience financially.