Salt in a Burette

Grumps

How much does the size of a drop from a burette vary with concentration of salt? I'm guessing a higher concentration would mean larger drops, but I'm not sure how much.

250 500 750

0M 11.24 22.83 33.56

1M 11.00 22.29 34.01

2M 11.01 22.15 33.13

3M 11.75 22.92 34.11

4M 11.59 23.9 33.99

I have these stats, the left side being concentration of NaCl and the top being the number of drops that have fallen (yeah I counted them all, ugh) and it's kinda all over so I need to doctor it up a little and I'm not sure what an optimal amount of doctoring would be.

Yea, you're data is not supporting your hypothesis by the way :P

I don't see a need for doctoring honestly. I'm assuming the numbers in the actual data are volume and so you have 750 drops=33.56mL for 0M (errrr? water?) and more volume would mean "bigger" drops if they are the same amount of drops.

But the added molarity also means more mass which means more weight. If more weight is in the drop (so to speak, go with it :P) then a smaller drop would be enough mass to break the h-bonds going on in the water (cohesion and all that good stuff). There's also the possibility of your molarities not being big enough to bring good data. Like going up by 1M might not be enough to record a change in the volume, make sense?

• Like 2

Beh I was worried that the concentration difference might not be enough. I guess I could just say "failed hypothesis".

But I don't really understand what you just said, do you mean higher concentrations would mean smaller drops? I'm not really good at chemistry. :|

Thanks a lot for the help!

Higher concentration=more mass per volume. So to get the same amount of mass needed to break the cohesion in the drops you would need less volume in the drop, make sense?

If the mass needed for a drop to...drop...is about constant then as molarity increases then you're volume would decrease according to c=n/v (n is basically mass in this sense). Basically meaning the drop would be smaller because there's more stuff in it :P

• Like 2

Hello,

I would just like to reinforce Drake's point that it doesn't matter what results you get as long as you answer the question set (another one of my stupid rhymes). I have just organised your data pretty quickly using excel and have come to this result. You should first present the table you have got, then transform it into something like this:

post-21678-0-70428100-1299400895_thumb.j

There is no such thing as a hypothesis when doing the data processing or CE part of an IA. You have answered the question set. All that is left of the data processing is the random uncertainties. You should then be povided with a literature value which you then can start your CE on.

Edited by Keel
  • Like 2