Environmental Systems and Societies

Clozza

Who else studies Enviro and if so, is anyone finding that it is actually harder than they expected it to be to get good marks? Any suggestions on how to go abut tackling questions?

Hey, I am taking ESS for my science and YES it is harder then I expected. It certainly isnt easy but be persistent and stay on task and the grades will come. Focus and understanding daily material and Powerpoints so studying for tests arent that hard, and work on the SPL (Self Planned Lab). Cheers

• 6 months later...

ESS is not exactly hard. It has a very simple SL syllabus compared to the rest of the IB subjects. But tackling the questions is the hard part here. You have to be extremely descriptive yet concise. Its a hard task, that, but one you can't avoid in ESS. And straying from the answer is a serious no-no in the ESS exam papers. I have been through that and suffered the consequences too.

But overall, I think its an easy, scoring subject, with just enough focus, anyone should be able to score a 7. Cheers!

Who else studies Enviro and if so, is anyone finding that it is actually harder than they expected it to be to get good marks? Any suggestions on how to go abut tackling questions?

I take ESS.I do think it is harder than I expected,but I think in comparison to the other sciences it's probably really easy.The other poster was right in saying that they expect you to be really concise and descriptive at the same time.I think if one focuses on answering the questions better a high mark could be scored.

Edited by Gee :)

I feel like it's not even worth taking it because 1) it's not even that easy, just EASIER than the other science courses and 2) my friends won't stop teasing me for taking it

But on a serious note... It's definitely my easiest class, but i did expect it to be easier, much much easier. However it doesn't require too much thinking just putting it time and effort. good luck peeps.

• 1 month later...

I can agree it is harder than I expected but then again the subject itself isn't hard. To apply the knowledge and concepts in order to answer the questions is reallyy difficult and that's what I am struggling with (thanks to my horrible teacher) as you can't really know what the question wants the answer to be. As it can either be something as easy as stating that globabl warming is bad or something suuuper far-fetched like run-off leading to sedimentation leading to the distruction of a coral reef and therefore loss in habitat diversity which consequently means a loss in biodiversity in general. The possibilities are endless, but I guess that as long as you know the concepts and don't "over do-it" when it comes to answering the exams etc. should be fine. I mean, it is based on a lot of common sense though and that's probably the most annoying part cause then you make silly mistakes.