chem HL or SL?

Candidate 2011

so basically i've chosen to do chem HL, well i didn't really have much of a choice, I had to pick from Arabic, math, physics and chem, so decided to go with chem

heres the thing though, i'm not exactly a brainiac at chem, and right now im struggling to digest acids and bases (which I've been told is quite an easy topic :) ) anyway to the point, i was just wondering exactly how hard is chem HL, i LOVE math and able to do well in it, so i'm good at calculations and all and substituting numbers into formulas and all, but when it comes to writing up equations and determining the product i'm not hopeless. but not too great. so in short, is it possible to achieve a good mark with the thinks that i have just mentioned?

sorry about the rants guys!

so basically i've chosen to do chem HL, well i didn't really have much of a choice, I had to pick from Arabic, math, physics and chem, so decided to go with chem

heres the thing though, i'm not exactly a brainiac at chem, and right now im struggling to digest acids and bases (which I've been told is quite an easy topic :D ) anyway to the point, i was just wondering exactly how hard is chem HL, i LOVE math and able to do well in it, so i'm good at calculations and all and substituting numbers into formulas and all, but when it comes to writing up equations and determining the product i'm not hopeless. but not too great. so in short, is it possible to achieve a good mark with the thinks that i have just mentioned?

sorry about the rants guys!

Hi there!

I'm in IB2, taking chemistry HL, and to be fair, it's not been too much to do. But if you want a high grade, physics HL is better if you're good at maths but don't want to take HL maths :ok:

Good luck!

Both HL math and HL physics will include both math and concepts, in about equal amounts. HL Chem will be more along the lines of you need to know the equation and when to use, some of HL physics you can derive yourself but it takes a while and wastes time.

Acids and bases for HL is math based, very math based. We are just starting it but our teacher told us that there are several equations to remember and include logs.

IB's physics isn't as math based as it could be honestly, it's not a math freak class. There are AP classes literally called AP Calculus Physics, which is brutal. As far as I know IB physics does not involve any calculus really =/ neither does HL chem.

I'm leaning towards HL physics for you only because you said you were good at substituting and a lot of physics and taking equation x and putting it in y to find a value for something in equation z ;)