Regarding m/z, H NMR and H3PO2 / H2SO4

Mate

Greetings!

I have recently been going through a couple of past papers and these (in title) keep bugging me! Apparently, you can't have any decent Organic Chemistry in Paper 2 that does not mention the m/z peak values of a compound or the ratio of H NMR scans of a compound. Also, regarding the acids. I know that Sulfuric is very hydrophilic and that it will go to the extent of ripping of -OH groups from other compounds. Apparently this is the same deal with Phosporic acid. Now I did scan the fat HL Chem book (the green heinemann which takes 20 pages to explain one simple concept) and I checked the technology and organic options, and what do you know: I found both m/z, H NMR and the phosphoric acid things. Now my question: are we really supposed to know this? I mean these questions come in paper 2 :)

If you have to know this, then can someone pretty please explain the deal with m/z and H NMR questions in Organic chemistry (chap 10), since the book is so worthless at doing just that :/

Thanks in advance!

Firstly what year were those tests? Curriculum can change and start to exclude stuff as actual objectives and therefore won't be on YOUR test but would be present on old tests. I haven't hit the HL portion of organic yet so I can't directly help you there, just wanted to point out that whole objectives thing...

November 2005, so yeah I guess it might be because of that! :) Just hope they won't stealth put some of these things in our exam like the acids! Who could have thought that Sulfuric and Phosphoric acid break bonds from the opposing reactant in order to form water... I guess it has to do with the Elimination reactions in HL Organic, but it is not specified anyway. :yes: