Diagram of Underprovision of Merit Goods

I need to draw the diagram of underprovision of merit goods but I can't find it in my notes and I don't have my textbook at home :austin: I can only find the diagram of positive externality where there are MPB, MSB and MPC=MSC curves, MSB>MPB and there is a spillover benefit. Are they just the same? If not, what is the diagram of underprovision of merit goods like? I am not too sure because I was absent when my teacher gave us this worksheet so I may have missed some information. It would be awesome if you could explain it to me. Thank you!

• 1 month later...

I need to draw the diagram of underprovision of merit goods but I can't find it in my notes and I don't have my textbook at home :austin: I can only find the diagram of positive externality where there are MPB, MSB and MPC=MSC curves, MSB>MPB and there is a spillover benefit. Are they just the same? If not, what is the diagram of underprovision of merit goods like? I am not too sure because I was absent when my teacher gave us this worksheet so I may have missed some information. It would be awesome if you could explain it to me. Thank you!

The topic's a bit old now but it wouldn't hurt to reply. I'm surprised no one responded.

You can use the consumption:

y2vcU.gif

Or the production:

QWOs3.gif

Both show how the merit good is under provided at Q1 when social optimum is at Q*.

Edited by Keel
  • Like 1