IB Subject Choices

CLS1994

Hi there,

I'm applying for the IB, but I am unsure which subjects I should pick. The options I'll have are the following:

Group 1: English A1 SL/HL

Group 2: French B SL/HL, Spanish B SL/HL, German Ab Initio SL, Italian Ab Initio SL

Group 3: History SL/HL, Economics SL/HL, Psychology SL/HL, Social and Cultural Anthropology SL/HL

Group 4: Biology SL/HL, Environmental Systems and Societies SL

Group 5: Maths SL, Maths Studies SL

Group 6: Visual Art SL/HL, Chemistry SL/HL, a second group three subject from the four already offered based on demand SL/HL

My predicted grades at GCSE (not IGCSE) are:

English A*

English Literature A*

Maths A*

Core Science A

Additional Science A*

Religious Education B

I.C.T. A

Drama C

Geography A*

French B

I have also already completed CIDA I.C.T. (Merit) and Statistics GCSE (B, my school entered the top maths set without teaching the content at quite short notice hoping some of us would fluke C's - it went better than expected and around half of us got C's, and half B's, with only 2 D's.)

I have also looked into possible University courses, and some which I am currently considering, are History, Literature, Teaching, Politics or Economics, but as you can see, I am by no means decided yet!

My choices:

Group 1:

I will defiantly take English A1 HL because I love reading, and English Literature as a subject.

Group 2:

I would like to take French B SL as it is both more useful and respected than an Ab Initio language, but I am not very confident with it GCSE despite my prediction - I was below average and predicted D at GCSE until Christmas 2010, when my teacher was sacked and replaced by one of the best I've ever had, whose really helped me, and recently my grades have got a lot better which is why I'm predicted B. However, I would be moving to a college for I.B. and wouldn't have him, although I am told the teaching is very good. I also excel at reading, am okay with speaking and writing, and poor at listening - will the course structure compared to GCSE help or hinder me? Should I take an Ab Inition instead? If so, which one, based on usefulness, respectability, and difficulty?

Group 3:

I think I will take History HL, as I really regret not taking it for GCSE and have discovered a passion for it - I had to choose between it and Geography (yawn). I think it would also go well with/be needed for the university courses I am thinking of. My potential college are fine with it, but is it hard/risky taking a HL subject I haven't studied since year nine?

Group 4:

I expect to choose Biology SL, as although I'm good at science, I am not as interested in it long0term as other subjects (although the course sounds good!), and can't see myself using it much in the future.

Group 5:

Maths SL. Easy choice, I would consider HL were it available, and Studies is at too low a level for me.

Group 6:

I would like to take a second humanities subject as it would be more helpful for my future, at HL. However, I know that the A Level equivalents of Psychology and Social and Cultural Anthropology are considered slightly 'soft' by some universities such as Cambridge. Would I be fine taking either of these two, or would I be better of with Chemistry? If so, what should my third HL be (possibly Biology)? Or are these subjects fine? Also, I am unsure on my interest in Psychology - is it typically like a group four subject, theoretical science, like the other group three options, or a mixture/something else?

Finally, I am almost certain I want to take the IB, as i despite the high grade requirements, I feel it may help me both get into and prepare for university, I may also apply abroad which it could help with, I want to be pushed academically, I think I will find it more interesting than A Levels, and I want to keep a broad range of subjects. But is there any particular reason you think I should steer clear?

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance for any help!

So this is what your looking into right now, as I can see:

English A1 HL

French B SL

History HL

Biology SL

Math SL

Therefore, you need one more HL subject from group 6. Psychology is, yes, considered soft in some uni's. I am not sure about S and C Anthropology. If these are considered soft, have you thought about Economics at all, seeing as it is offered at your school? You should really look into some universities you might be interested in and find out what they require for the major you want (you do not have to be definite about you major and universities, but you would want to have an idea).

If you are up for Economics, since it is not considered 'soft' I would go for that. If not economics, and if the other two are too 'soft' for universities, I would definitely go with the Chemistry route. do some research and think about it a bit :) Other than that, your choices seem good to me :)

• Like 1

Hey! Don´t hesitate in doing IB, its the best academic programme for college prep.

For me you should take.

English A1 HL

Easy and really fun!

French B SL

If you´re unsure of your new teacher and GCSE grade go for SL, HL might be quite difficult.

History HL

A must, its almost like SL, in fact I regret taking SL instead of HL. I got a 5 in SL. Easy to get 5 and 6s. Not so sure about 7.

Biology SL

Go for it if you like it. It takes quite a long time to memorize the whole syllabus that´s why I chose Chemistry SL along with my own interests.

Mathematics SL

Wise choice, I took HL and got a 4, and I was predicted a 6!! hardest IB subject

Psychology HL or Social Anthropology HL

Interesting subjects both, it´s true that they might not be that valued by cambridge, but whatever, if you like them go for it. You might consider Chemistry SL and go for French HL, Chemistry HL is really hard and useless if you won´t study Medicine or engineering.

GOOD LUCK! E mail me if you have further doubts. :)

• Like 1

Thanks for the help - just to clarify, one of the fours group 3 subjects will be offered in group 6, the choice is between whatever they put in front of me there, or Chemistry, and most likely the G3 subject at HL. The exception being if they put History in G6, which would then mean I could take that, and have any of the other 3 (Economic, Psych or S&CA) for G3.

In terms of uni, one thing holding me back from economics, is that some (but not all) UK unis want Maths HL, whilst I can only take SL. Those that do not require it, seem to recommend it and require a six or even seven in SL. Would I be severly disadvantaged if I were to apply for a course without a recommended subject?

If it came to Economics vs Chemistry, I'd almost certainly go for Economics, but there is little information on what unis think of SC*A and psych, and I am a bit unsure about the psych course. I may consider Economics instead of one of these should that be the choices given to me.

The other thing is, the college I'm applying to has only just finished its' first year of IB and has no results yet. However, there A-Level results are great, they have a really good inspection report, and people taking IB at the moment there say it seems to be going really well, and have had no problems with teachers, or the course structure (just the workload, as you'd expect!). So I think I should be fine going there?

Thanks a lot for the help!

Thanks for the help - just to clarify, one of the fours group 3 subjects will be offered in group 6, the choice is between whatever they put in front of me there, or Chemistry, and most likely the G3 subject at HL. The exception being if they put History in G6, which would then mean I could take that, and have any of the other 3 (Economic, Psych or S&CA) for G3.

In terms of uni, one thing holding me back from economics, is that some (but not all) UK unis want Maths HL, whilst I can only take SL. Those that do not require it, seem to recommend it and require a six or even seven in SL. Would I be severly disadvantaged if I were to apply for a course without a recommended subject?

If it came to Economics vs Chemistry, I'd almost certainly go for Economics, but there is little information on what unis think of SC*A and psych, and I am a bit unsure about the psych course. I may consider Economics instead of one of these should that be the choices given to me.

The other thing is, the college I'm applying to has only just finished its' first year of IB and has no results yet. However, there A-Level results are great, they have a really good inspection report, and people taking IB at the moment there say it seems to be going really well, and have had no problems with teachers, or the course structure (just the workload, as you'd expect!). So I think I should be fine going there?

Thanks a lot for the help!

Yes you´´l be fine!! Your GCSE grades are amazing, plus it seems that you´re responsible and knows how to manage his/her time. good luck! IB won´t be a problem for you!!

• Like 1

@bigbangfan is this your brother?

Hmm ok let me list my suggested choices:

English A1 HL

French B SL

History HL

Biology SL

Mathematics SL

Economics HL (or Psychology HL)

Geography is not offered?

Stick with French B SL. Language B SL is actually very easy. You have ever learned French, and is scoring a B. Have you learned any of the 3 other languages? If not just stick with it. If you want to study in Canada, I think it might be useful. You are scoring a B already which is good TBH. I took IGCSE English as a Second Language and got an A, now I am taking IB English B HL and I find the course quite similar in terms of the level of difficulty. Language B SL would be a piece of cake, don't worry :)

Yeah go for History HL. I did not take Physics and Economics in IGCSE and I am taking IB Physics HL and Economics SL and predicted a 7 and 6 respectively :) not having any experience in a subject doesn't mean you won't do well. If you have a passion and are willing to work hard, you'll do well :)

You can only pick between Bio and ESS what? Just go for Bio lah, ESS is considered a soft subject.

Math SL is a perfect choice for you.

I don't think the courses you want to study at uni are much related to the Sciences so why the heck do you want to take both Bio and Chem???

Maybe you should ask your friends what they are going to choose for group 6 and if most of them demand Econs, go for Econs. If most of them demand Psych, go for Psych. If SCA...I wouldn't really recommend taking it. Chemistry is definitely useless IMO. Have you taken a look at some good unis' websites? What are the prerequisites for those courses you want to study?

If you are passionate about studying Econs, just do Econs HL and Math SL. Math HL is not offered anyway, right? There are some unis that will accept Math SL students. And you are not sure of studying Econs anyway so why worrying the Math?

But I tell you, Econs HL is very easy. I don't really recommend Psychology remembering I really wanted to be a Psychologist when I was young but I started to realise that it's kind of useless (IMO!) so I totally forgot about my passion.

• Like 2

Thanks a lot for your help! I think I will go for a second humanity HL, as Chemistry does seem less useful for my particular courses. And yes, the options are quite limited and don't include geography or anything except biology and ES&S in group four - it is a small cohort because of there being little interest in the IB, and most of the students are looking at either humanities/medicine, hence the lack of Maths HL, Physics, or Chemistry as a group four instead of six (biology and ES&S are perceived as easier).