English A1 ? A2? B? and university consideration

Argiyama

Starting IB next year, I face a dilemma between to choose English A1 SL or English B HL ( I think my school doesn't offer A2) and my coordinator "strongly" (more like forcefully) suggested me to choose English B HL because English isn't my Native language and I have studied in international school only 3 years prior to coming to Canada. I found myself having a bit of problem as I wanna do English A1 SL but obviously it's hard for me as it's not my first language considering I have to do another A1 (Thai) which mean 2 world lits and blah blah blah :) Anyway, i don't really care about the workload <<familliar myself with MYP 4 hours of hw a day. Only thing is that I afraid that it will reduce my overall point. For example, if i take English A1, i may end up 5 or even 4 but if i do English B HL, i'm pretty sure i can get at least a 6. The question is.....which one is better?? considering I want to go into top university in United States. I'm afraid only that they will reject me as I take English as my second language despite my point in SAT or whatsoever.

Thanks in advance :P

You can take this on board or you can ignore it...

From what you have just typed, I think your English is wonderful. There are people in my class, whose English are much worse than yours and easily scraping a 4.

Personally it's harder for me to get a 7 in English B HL than in English A1 SL. The exam for English B is harder, but the required level of English is lower, if that makes any sense. Basically, for a fluent speaker of English like me, it's still hard for me to get a 7 in English B HL.

English A1: A lot more in depth analysis of literature, but I think you will be ok.

I agree with Forester there.

However one thing you need to remember. English B is pure language. A1 English is pretty much literature (which of course involves language analysis and writing). The English B is comparable with TOEFL while A1 and A2 are beyond that (fluency, bilingual etc). I do not think you will be disadvantaged if you apply to a top university if you have English B. After all, many international students apply and you will just need to do an English test then perhaps.

Edited by Afterglow

I don't think they will care about what english level you do unless you're going for an English degree, wich you don't seem to be doing :P

take B HL is my advice to you if you want a better overall grade. At the end of the day it's about the grades not the work you put into it :(