Law is fun!

TheRacingHammock

Hello!

My only dream profession till now was to become a lawyer. I still want to pursue this way and someday work abroad in said field. The thing is, I thought doing the IB couldn't be that much of a harm, but now that I'm getting into the stuff (started half a year ago and I'm aware that it's just getting worse) I'm not even sure if it's going to pay out for me in the end, considering I want to pursue a law-based career BUT study here in Germany.

The thing is, people decide to do the IB because they want to study abroad. I don't. I want to study here due to financial reasons. Of course if I would have the chance of studying abroad I would, but even then there is the TOEFL exam which provides you with the necessary prerequisites.

My current plan is, having both degrees (the German one and the IB one), apply to a good German university, study there, and then start working abroad. As a sidenote, I want to study international law (Economics etc.).

Now I'm asking you guys, is the IB the right choice for me? Does it pay out in the end if I'm in fact not going to study abroad?

Well in what way is the IB not paying off for you?

If you're not going to get good enough IB grades to get into a Uni in Germany for Law (have you checked the requirements?) then maybe it is going to be problematic for you and you need to re-think what you're doing.

However, if you mean will it help you get a job abroad after you've studied in Germany, all I can really think of is that perhaps the English qualification, assuming that you're taking English, might come in handy, otherwise it's more or less irrelevant -- because once you've got one degree, they don't really care about your previous education. That's the same for any educational system really, one level of education replaces the one before it and they stop taking the lower one into account. Whether you did the IB or the Abitur (or whatever it is you're doing) isn't going to mean anything after you've got a degree :panic: Only your degree will count.

Well it's not about the grades, my grades are good. I don't even think that German universities require an IB. That's why, I don't really know what I'm able to to with the IB degree in my hand, because apparently if I only do the Abiture I'm better off. Considering what you've said, that only the highes degree counts.

So instead of working my butt off for two degrees, I should be concentrating on one? As the IB would be useless for me, since I won't study abroad nor apply to a university which requires the IB. I just want to work as a lawyer abroad, that's all.

Well it's not about the grades, my grades are good. I don't even think that German universities require an IB. That's why, I don't really know what I'm able to to with the IB degree in my hand, because apparently if I only do the Abiture I'm better off. Considering what you've said, that only the highes degree counts.

So instead of working my butt off for two degrees, I should be concentrating on one? As the IB would be useless for me, since I won't study abroad nor apply to a university which requires the IB. I just want to work as a lawyer abroad, that's all.

Well basically you're saying that you don't need to do the IB (which isn't a degree, by the way, a degree is what you get after a University course)... so it sounds to me like it's kinda crazy you're still doing it! Sounds to me like it's useless for you. Unless German Unis are going to give you a better offer or you stand more of a chance of getting in with the IB (I'm not sure, you'll have to check out the requirements on Uni websites etc.) it doesn't seem worthwhile.

You see, people have been 'hyping' the IB over here. The thing is no one really knows what they're getting out of it, or what they're able to do with it compared to other students who only did the Abitur.

That's the basic thing I'm asking.

What am I able to do/achieve with the IB concerning my choice of universities within my home country compared to other students who only did the Abitur?

Thank you for your answers though! It helped me with making a decision whether if I'll abandon the IB or not. I will check with the universities if it helps having an IB, or if it gives me a better shot at good universities.