How do you study for chem and bio?

sweet candy

im doing chem SL and Bio HL and i really want to nail these two subjects...but i hate studying them especially bio because of all of the memorizing and i just do not understand chem...i honeslty feel like the idiot in the class each time i walk into a chem lesson....especially when it comes to organic chem...thats a killer for me.

any advice on how to 'click' with these subjects and study them effectivley?!

I quit chem. cause my teacher was horrible, so I understand you.

Ok, from what I have heard from students who have predicted 7's in my school in both chem and bio they do it like this:

Biology:

• Write out all of the notes nicely so that there are no distractions (scribbles, torn page, crumpled page etc.)
  • Color coordinate (highlight titles, definitions, names, etc. depending on how you plan to categorize things- could be by chapter, topic, difficulty, etc.)
  • Read over everything so you know what you are looking at (go chapter by chapter)
  • Start memorizing
  • After you think you've got it down, say it aloud without looking at the sheet.
  • Read it again to see what you missed
  • Say it aloud again
  • Get someone to check you and correct you while you say it aloud to them (mom, dad, sister, brother, friend- i sometimes go sit in a cafe and have my friend do it)
  • Move on to the next chapter

Chemistry

• Memorize the theory and definitions the same way as Biology

• Mathematical based questions:

• Ask your teacher if he/she has copies of former exams with the answers. See if you can borrow them and use them to practice and get an idea about how the question are worded, the difficulty, etc.
    • Go online and find similar problems
    • Practice, practice, practice
    • If you don't know how to solve something, go into your teacher and ask
    • And every day do 5-10 problems (or less if they are longer mathematically based problems) to be consistent and get the hang of it

Umm, don't come in to class feeling like the idiot, or even with that mindset. It'll make you less inclined to try and learn it :blum:

For bio, know the objectives, DO the objectives even. We write them out as assignments. I have 70+ pages of notes from doing them and then another 100 from in class. Each topics has a set of them, just try and answer them and you can have your teacher check them so she/he can point out anything you might of missed.

For chem, I don't know, get a good book, again you need to know the objectives because a lot of times there is a lot of information from chem you don't "need" to know for the exam.

And for both, come here if you don't get something. A few of us will reply with some sort of explanation of whatever concept and chances are they won't all be the same and one of them will make more sense than the others or simply be easier to remember :blum:

This is the way that i study, it really helps me :blum: you could try it out

For each chapter i do the following:

i make essay questions that focus on a majority of the chapter and just answer the questions using bullet points

i just keep reaading through it and it soon gets into my head :blum: reading aloud helps because you hear your own voice

and when it comes to writing exams, you will hear your own voice and remember

I really hope this helped!

or you can use what is below, got it from a newsletter :P

Here is the simplest technique that can be used when trying to memorize something:

•When trying to memorize something, first determine what it is that must be memorized and take the time to write down the items. The process of writing down the items is an essential way to commit these aspects to memory. Use short sentences and underline or highlight the key words that are to be remembered.

•Next, have these items on a piece of paper and be ready to commit these to memory. It takes a quiet environment with no distractions in order to commit these terms to memory.

•Use the three step memory technique to commit the item to memory. Use the technique to read the word, read the words or the item out loud and then read the items or the sentence without actually looking at the page. This will enable you to commit it to memory for visual, as well as auditory learners.

•Ensure that you are well rested through the learning process to ensure that the list has been committed to memory.

•Use this process to learn everything that you must on the list and commit these to memory, use this to learn each item on the list by gradually adding new items which must be learned to the list.

By using the above, it can be simple to remember everything that you need to, regardless of which type of learner that you are. Saying the words aloud while writing the words and reading the words covers all of the bases whether you are an auditory learner, a visual learner or a tactile learner and is an effective way to learn everything that you need to.

GOOD LUCK :D