Can I get into a good university or college?

Guest stressedoutemily

Guest stressedoutemily

I have about a 3.3 gpa for freshman year and about a 2.9 for sophomore year with all PB classes except for science. Do you think I could still get into a good American universit or college?

they will look at your class rank, cummulative GPA, SAT or ACT score, if you took the most difficult classes you could and your extra ciiricular activities. but it varies from uni to uni. for the one i got accepted to they didn't care about my ACT score because my GPA and class rank were so high, but it is just a public state university, some of the larger schools, such as they IVYs will be much pickier, but i know some people who got into top schools that were the last people expected to be accepted. someamerican uni will even gve you college credit for scoring well on an IB exam.

sorry i can't give you more information, but it really varies from uni to uni and it depends on what you mean by a good one.

Edited by IBStuck

The State Univs are even a reach...

i don't know about international students, but i know that they pnly thing with haveing a good GPA, was helping me to get a good scolarship, and not have my ACT score matter as much. ivy league is probably a no, but you can still apply, there are always a few surpises. i have a friend at standford, he is a junior now, but when he told all of his IB teachers that he got into standford, none of them believed him.

try and get a really good scre on the ACT or SAT I and II, and keep your grades higher from now on to try and bring it up.

i have a question in genernal for IB students outdside of the US.... do you not have wiated classes to keep your GPA high, cz my GPA is over a 4.0, but i don't get A's in every class.

IB counts as weight. So our weighted GPA is out of 5.0 and our unweighted is out of 4.0

Right now I'm on 3.92UW and 4.90W because all my classes are weighted since they are IB? lol...

But I don't know, my school doesn't officially do GPA, (it doesn't even rank, because apparently it will be unfair for the people who are ranked in the bottom 50%. They would be ranked in the top 10% in any other school in my city...) and I suppose my way is how the admission people will see it.

• 1 month later...
My school doesn't do GPA ranking - is that a problem when applying for US unis?

Oh and how is class rank measured? We have 2 form classes and in each there are about 15 students. Does that mean im should aim to be in the top 10% of 30 students?

ok for GPA -

yes it can be a problem. but there is a way to calculate it,

http://www.ibsurvival.com/forum/index.php?...ic=1507&hl= i mentioned it here (i think)

the uni i am going to here in the states that the have a calculator that will calculate ur GPA for you.

i think i will have to post a liink coz that is the sencond time i have posted that statemnet in the last 30 mins. i will look it up in a min. PM me if i don't get it up and you want it.

now for calss rank -

US unis usually look at class rank and the higher the better.... and a lot want students who are in the top 10 % (i am 4 to 6 people away for top 10% ... the agony). but all class rank is a comparison of GPA. if all the students were put in a numerical list of thier GPAs it would be your palce in line over the total amout of people in your graduating class. for example: ther is 403 people in my graduating class, and i am ranked number 44, so my class rank is 44/403 basically it is a percetage mine is about 10.9%.

*EDIT*

http://www.ibsurvival.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1508

go here baout ur GPA

Edited by IBStuck