Question on Avogadro's Number?

Bayloun

Hey,

So I have a lab report due tomorrow, and it involves finding Avogadro's Number. The data i have is the height, diameter, mass, and volume of an iron cylinder. I also have the radius of one iron atom. I'm supposed to use this data to solve for avogadro's number. any ideas?

anyone? i really need help...:)

Edited by Bayloun

Since you have the mass and you can get the Ar of iron from the periodic table, I guess you would be able to find its number of moles?

Then find the number of particles. Hmm remember that iron particles are spheres. (or assumed to be spheres? er whatever..)

From the lit value of radius of 1 iron atom, find the theoretical volume of 1 iron atom.

Did you get the volume from the height and diameter? Or did you get the volume by other means? I think I would just divide this volume by the theoretical volume of 1 iron atom you have just got; in order to get the number of iron particles. This might not be accurate, though.

Now you can find the experimental Avogadro constant from the number of moles and number of particles.

I hope it's correct, not so sure actually.

You have the volume of what I'm assuming to be a solid iron cylinder. You can find the volume of an iron atom with the radius you have. volume of cylinder/volume of one atom=number of atoms in the cylinder. The number you are looking for is the number of particles in one mole. You can find the moles of iron present in the cylinder by dividing the mass of the cylinder by the molar mass of iron. Now you know that x amount of moles (that you just figured out) equals the number of atoms times some number.

Moles of Iron in the cylinder=number of atoms in the cylinder*X, solve for X which should be the number you're looking for.

Think that's done right, I don't know if your teacher is ok with using molar mass from a periodic table though since it wasn't listed in one of your given values in your post =/