Economics Extended Essay - ideas for topic

Guest renvox

Hi guys,

My name is Filip and I'm from Poland but I live in Spain. I decided to do economics EE but now I need a topic, and as you guys know it's not as easy as it seems to be.

The topic must be pretty narrow and here is the problem. I wanted to do something about currencies, price of oil, gold, etc. (in other words, about raw materials).

It would be nice if the topic had to do with my regions, I mean Poland and Spain.

Any good ideas?

Thanks for your help guys!

Best regards,

Filip

Hello Filip :o

I'm not doing my EE in Economics but I heard from my teacher that it is easier to do an Econs EE on market structure and price discrimination. 5 out of 13 IBDP diploma students in my class are doing their EE's in Econs and that's what my Econs teacher suggested them to do.

Raw materials, I can suggest writing it on the market structure or price discrimination of gasoline in your area (if it's questionable). In Indo it used to be a monopoly a few years ago; but now it's kind of an oligopoly or a monopolistic competition, idk. The price is the same everywhere, though.

What about price discrimination of medical services? Do doctors practice price discrimination and do the patients know? Is it justifiable?

Econs EE is relatively easy, I heard. Pick a good topic! After you get one we could try to comment on your topic and help you improve it :P

Hope it's inspiring!

• 1 month later...

Hi,

after a month I still don't have a clear idea about my research question.

The idea you gave me is interesting and I also came up with some questions and here is what I have so far:

• Price discrimination of medical services in Spain/Poland
  • What is the effect of high prices of petrol on spanish/polish market?
  • New anti-tobacco law in Spain and its effect on spanish restaurants/bars/whatever?
  • The prisoner's dilemma in economics - I really like this one, but I don't know if it's good enough. Pleeease, help me!

What do you think about these questions?

I would be very thankful for any type of help, I really need it. :)

I thought the prisoner dilemma is rather mathematical? What do you mean prisoner dilemma in economics? It may be too broad btw.

#3 may be too narrow. Why did they set such regulation? Is it because of the overconsumption? I guess there are lots you can talk about here. Change it a little bit, too a bit broader RQ, maybe?

#2 definitely too narrow :) nice topic but perhaps broaden it to a more interesting thesis

#1 I think this is just good. But may be hard. You need to have a relative who is a doctor (so they can honestly tell you if they discriminate the price) and because the product is homogeneous you need to find patients suffering from the same disease :)

Those are my opinions but I couldn't tell if those are really good RQ's or not. I suggest talking to your teacher, discuss it with them :) surely the best person to talk to!

Any doubt/question just ask though, I might be able to help XD

Thanks Desy, you are my idol! Tomorrow I'm talking to my supervisor but I need to have some ideas before progress report though. So I will inform you guys after I decide...

And as you said, the prisoner's dilemma is way more mathematical than economics, but at least I tried. ;-)

• 1 month later...
Guest renvox

Houston, we have problem.

Finally my research question is about china's automotive industry and I gathered a lot of articles, pdfs, etc. about it, however I have a problem with raw data. Many times data comes from the "China yearbook blah blah blah" and here is the problem. This book costs 100$! Therefore I have question for you guys. Do you know any other source where I could get raw data from?

Thanks,

Fil

• 3 years later...

Hi guys

This is Risi Kesauv here.

I am doing my extended essay in economics. So please sudgest some topics that are easy to do and extended essay in economics.

Thanks guys

Risi Kesauv

• 1 year later...

Hey guys 

My name is  TAMRAT i am from Ethiopia but now i am in Israel i wanted to do my EE on physics but i couldn't find oneappropriate and easy topic can you guys please suggest me one   :D

thank you

Could yo please start a new topic instead of commenting on some ancient topic, that doesn't even relate to your question?