Enzymes Lab

racecar

Okay, so we're doing a lab on how certain factors affect enzyme activity. We were told to do either ph, substrate concentration or temperature

and we can pick one of these four enzymes: diastase, lipase, pepsin or pancreatin. Also, we need to measure the results quantitatively. I need help! i have no clue what to do!

I was going to use pepsin, temperature and egg whites (boiled) and see how long it took to dissolve and use the mass for my results but apparently dissolving the egg could take 12 hours and i don't have that kind of time. Does anyone know a simpler, faster experiment??? (oh and we're also allowed to use other enzymes if we want, like the ones in pineapple juice.)

Okay, so we're doing a lab on how certain factors affect enzyme activity. We were told to do either ph, substrate concentration or temperature

and we can pick one of these four enzymes: diastase, lipase, pepsin or pancreatin. Also, we need to measure the results quantitatively. I need help! i have no clue what to do!

I was going to use pepsin, temperature and egg whites (boiled) and see how long it took to dissolve and use the mass for my results but apparently dissolving the egg could take 12 hours and i don't have that kind of time. Does anyone know a simpler, faster experiment??? (oh and we're also allowed to use other enzymes if we want, like the ones in pineapple juice.)

Hey there. You could use the enzyme catalase (which is found in the liver of animals). This enzyme catalyses the decomposition of hydrogen peroxide into water and oxygen. By measuring the volume of O2 produced you can determine which conditions are better for the enzyme to work. The reaction is really fast so I believe your issue as regards time would be solved.

I hope this helps you!

Regards.