November 2007 May 2008, Title 1

Guest hipsterrr

Guest hipsterrr

1. Evaluate the role of intuition in different areas of knowledge.

I'm doing title one for May 2008. I'm having some trouble defining intuition, because it's an emotion, but it's very different from other ways of knowing. It doesn't require perception to gain knowledge, it's more of an instinctive insight. Also, I'm trying to decide in which ares of knowledge does intuition play the most significant role. :\ Any ideas?

I'm doing title one for May 2008. I'm having some trouble defining intuition, because it's an emotion, but it's very different from other ways of knowing. It doesn't require perception to gain knowledge, it's more of an instinctive insight. Also, I'm trying to decide in which ares of knowledge does intuition play the most significant role. :\ Any ideas?

well it's really relative, I mean it depends on what you personally think, state that then provide proof (through example) about why you think that the role of intuition was most significant in those AOKs. for example I would think that intuition plays a larger role in the sciences, ethics and history rather than arts. For science I would give an example of , perhaps, one of my chem labs when I was titrating something against the other and I had a feeling to stop the titer at a certain point because I thought it reached the end point, and I was actually near it. for History I'd bring up bias, and how intuition perhaps initiates that? (for this I would discuss how the paradigm of each historian would control their intuition). For ethics I would state something of the sort of "for people who do not have "beliefs" in a certain religion or in a way of life, intuition perhaps helps them decide what is "right" and1 "wrong"" as for arts (I usually refer to painting when I talk about art, what I will say not might not go for theater, music or any other form of art you wish to discuss)- from my personal experience- I can't recall myself using my intuition to guide me through drawing a painting.. it was alway more technical than that. Starting off with the line of symmetry and the base line then making sure the pot or pan I was drawing was symmetrical blah blah blah.. so I can't really think of a way intuition helped me.. perhaps it has a role when observing art? though I don't think so :P

as for defining intuition, I think it's simple... it's a gut feeling you may have that might or might not lead you to some form of a truth. Try finding ur own definition for it through the ideas I gave you on each AOK up there.

good luck :D

• 2 weeks later...

In making decision, we can use intuition to help us in analysis. However,

we need to be open-minded, being more than machines. Based on evidence

we have, we construct the past. I suggest using a few areas of knowledge:

the arts, natural sciences, human sciences, history, mathematics, ethics,

and making comparisons and also linking these to ways of knowing: reason,

language, emotion, perception.

The theories of truth end up with regressive arguments, a belief which one

intuitively believes to be true. There is a branch of mathematics known as

intuitionism whereby we cannot know everything using reason. I surmise

that Einstein definitely used intuition. Opening the gates of intuition, we rely

less on thinking consciously.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think there is any room for intuition without perception - where would the intuition come from?

And some skeleton ideas...

Intuition impacts our perceptions, and what we perceive => intuition.

Intuition and morals are linked. Morals are linked to ethics.

Intuition and emotion are linked, as you have already identified.

Intuition and art.

Intuition and science.

Edited by winter

• 6 months later...

There is also a very strong relationship between intuition and discoveries, which can basically apply to all areas of knowledge. Also, since most areas of knowledge use logical reasoning, you can comment on how discoveries lead to developing new processes, theorems, laws, etc.

P.S. Don't go too strongly with the whole intuition and ethics thing since there are a lot more factors to ethics than intuition, like upbringing, the social environment, etc.