Research Paper

Chrissytd

For my Research class, I have to write a research paper. My topic is "Why did middle aged, middle-class, white males in California during the last decade, commit adultery?"

What would be important to talk about when writing my paper? We are only allowed to use books and newspapers for our sources and the only books I have talk about adultery(why, and the aftermath) as a whole. Can someone help me?

Is this literally just to practice how to research things?

Generally with research (and any essay) it's easiest to structure it around your argument. This should involve

1) Providing evidence for and explaining the origins of your argument

2) Outlining your main points

3) Concluding

"Why did middle aged, middle-class, white males in California during the last decade, commit adultery?"

For this kind of essay you want to 'set the scene' of your essay. So you start with the evidence that middle-aged middle-class white males committed adultery. Outline what adultery is and how you're going to define it. When you mention your data also discuss its strengths and weaknesses (for instance with stuff like adultery the most obvious problem is poor reporting!). Reference everything thoroughly.

Then move on to make your points, one by one and with references/evidence for everything you say, as to the various reasons why they might have committed adultery. Remember to always discuss the relative merits of whatever evidence you're using.

Finally, conclude with whatever you find out and try to make it a balanced summary of both the merits and flaws of what you've found out.

Those are the sorts of things which are important -- separate your paper into sub-headings to make it nice and clear and be extremely thorough in finding sources for ALL the assertions you make.

That's ideally the kind of approach to take to an Extended Essay too :(

This is a bit of a weird question :D

• Like 1

I have to admit, this is a weird question. What subject is it for? it seems related to sociology/social psychology more than anything IB related I can think of :)

At my school, when your a Junior you have to take Research, which is an introductory course to TOK, which is taken during Senior year.

Should I get more sources?

Edited by Fizzy Dee