(urgent) Chemistry IA Help -Outline or Example Needed

julsjacket

Its due on Monday, and its a calorimetry lab.

My teacher didn't give us any outlines or examples or anything, she just said it would be graded on "data processing and conclusion and evaluation"

I don't have a clue about where to start or anything for the lab report, does anyone have anything that would help?

Also, I have a graph with temperature vs. time.

I'm not sure whether to extrapolate the graph to get the peak temperature, as my teacher told me not to.

But it makes sense to do so, and it says in my study guide to do so.

TITLE

Introduction/Aim

Apparatus & Chemicals

Method (Procedure)

Data Collecting (usually table)

Data Graph (if necessary)

Data Processing (the calculations)

Conclusion & Evaluation

That is roughly how I usually do it if only DCP and CE aspects are graded. Conclusion & Evaluation part can be splitted into Conclusion, Evaluation, Improvement parts. However, for design you would need to include variables, hypothesis, background information, etc (I can't remember lol sorry). And you can look at past IA samples in the Files section in this forum and see how they write and what they write.

• Like 1

Ok, thanks very much!

I didn't know that you had to write up the variables, hypothesis, etc...I was planning on sticking with just what was being graded.

I'll give your suggestion a shot.

Do I need to have a subscription to download files? :D

(I read something along those lines when I registered)

Yes variables, hypothesis, etc are only necessary if the design aspect is graded, so for now you do not need to have them.

Oh yes yes, sorry I forgot to mention that! Haha yes you need to be a VIP to be able to download the files in here.

An easier way to be a VIP would be by purchasing the VIP subscription. A more challenging way would be by contributing to the forum :D

More info about being a VIP: http://www.ibsurvival.com/index.php?app=core&module=help&do=01&HID=19

More info about downloading files: http://www.ibsurvival.com/index.php?app=core&module=help&do=01&HID=17

If it's an IA you should definitely be doing a full lab, not just the last parts :rofl:

Did your teacher not give you the rubric that IB uses for labs? the 18pt one (without manipulation skills)?

Make sure to have a hypothesis, a list of EVERYTHING you use, chemicals, gloves, even the apron if you used any of those, you can either give background info in the hypothesis in the "Because" part, or a different section before the hypothesis (i usually just throw it in the because). Probably shouldnt extrapolate the graph either, need to base your conclusion off the data you collected, not the expected values based off the equation you got (my own opinion). Be sure to make your your improvements reasonable, you won't be inventing some super insulator and thermometer to get the EXACT temp with an uncertainty of 0.0000001 :D

Sorry if this seems basic, can't tell what you've been told on what to do based off your post =/

If it's an IA you should definitely be doing a full lab, not just the last parts :D

Well, Drake, in my school, for Chem IA, my teacher usually does not mark D, DCP and CE aspects altogether. So she usually put D alone; and DCP together with CE. Thus, when only DCP and CE aspects are graded, she does not really care if we put variables & hypothesis etc.. I usually only put the introduction, materials, method and go straight away to DC, DP and CE :rofl:

However it is good to put variables & hypothesis, even though it is not expected. In my Physics class, my teacher wants us to still include variables & hypothesis even though he is only marking DCP and CE :)

If it's an IA you should definitely be doing a full lab, not just the last parts :D

Well, Drake, in my school, for Chem IA, my teacher usually does not mark D, DCP and CE aspects altogether. So she usually put D alone; and DCP together with CE. Thus, when only DCP and CE aspects are graded, she does not really care if we put variables & hypothesis etc.. I usually only put the introduction, materials, method and go straight away to DC, DP and CE :rofl:

However it is good to put variables & hypothesis, even though it is not expected. In my Physics class, my teacher wants us to still include variables & hypothesis even though he is only marking DCP and CE :)

Pfft must be my teachers, my IA was basically her going "Ok, it has to be related to acids, and preferably not titration, GO!" >.>

I have another question; does graphing something count as processed data, or raw data?

For example, I did a table of temperature/time during the lab.

I then graphed it in excel and I'm not sure where to put it.

Yes variables, hypothesis, etc are only necessary if the design aspect is graded, so for now you do not need to have them.

Oh yes yes, sorry I forgot to mention that! Haha yes you need to be a VIP to be able to download the files in here.

An easier way to be a VIP would be by purchasing the VIP subscription. A more challenging way would be by contributing to the forum ;)

More info about being a VIP: http://www.ibsurvival.com/index.php?app=core&module=help&do=01&HID=19

More info about downloading files: http://www.ibsurvival.com/index.php?app=core&module=help&do=01&HID=17

I'll be sure to contribute, but I guess I'm out of luck for this considering my report is due tommorrow :/

Processed data is any data that required some sort of mathematical calculation to attain. So graphing temp vs time would be just a graph of raw data. Really I don't know what you can do with it because we haven't really done anything about hess's law and all that good stuff quite yet. Hopefully someone else can help quickly since it's due tomorrow ;)

• Like 1

Conclusion you just really need to use your data to either support or reject your hypothesis, be sure to restate your hypothesis as well. Wow its been a long time since I've done a lab apparently, I'm forgetting stuff. Could state other trends you see that could lead to other stuff relating to your topic I suppose. My phys/chem conclusions always suck, only my biology ones seem to get the good 1000 word+ conclusions =/

Conclusion & Evaluation in general:

- Compare your experimental value with the literature value

- Compare your percentage error with your uncertainty (when % error > unc, systematic errors are present)

- Say if the lit value is in the range of uncertainty or outside it (eg. exp value is 10 +/- 1. Lit value is 9.5, so lit value lies just inside the range of unc, which is from 9 to 11)

- Evaluate sources of errors (eg. fluctuating balance, fluctuating temperature, parallax error)

- Evaluate the limitations of your experiment (eg. if you used alcohol lamp, you should say that it is not good enough since we cannot control the heat)

- Suggest some possible improvements which could be done (eg. use bunsen burner instead of alcohol lamp)

- Always suggest to repeat the experiment more often to reduce the random errors.