COM INFO SYS? Spanish V?

LewieV

Just got teh schedule today and everything fine except these 2 classes (BTW this is my 11th grade year and school starts on the 8th):

First I was told I had to have at least 2 years of a language that I had not already taken, and I've been taking spanish for 4 years. I REALLY want to continue SPanish but IB screws with everything. Do I have to switch languages to get a diploma or continue with IB?

And secondly what is COM INFO SYS? I surely don't remember signing up for this class. I put down (for electives) Calc, Astronomy, and Physics since they didn't have anything better.

I apologize, but there is no "Astronomy" class in IB, so maybe that's why they assigned you the COM INFO SYS class. Also, I'm not familiar with the Computer Information Class that you mentioned. I know there is a Computer Science class for IB, but not a Computer Information Systems class. Maybe this is a class that your school created.

Concerning Spanish, I took it in my first two years of High School before IB and I'm currently taking it at Standard Level, so I don't see a problem in taking the language, unless you are very fluent in it.

All of these concerns should be addressed to the Guidance Counselor and IB Coordinator of your school. These two individuals will be able to help you sort out all of your classes/schedule.

Good luck, and I hope your schedule is sorted out. :(

Edited by JoeGuff

If your school only offers languages at the ab initio level, then it would make sense that they ask you to start a new language.

[Language ab initio- no prior knowledge. Language B is about 1-3 years of experience (depending on standard level [sL] or higher level [HL]. Language A2 - you're fluent in it, but this isn't your native language. Language A1 - native language]

Adding on to what Joe said above, not all of your courses are IB courses. You take 6 IB courses + TOK over the course of your two years. It's important to figure out which of your electives are IB and which aren't and what level you're taking them at-- HL or SL. You should have 3 at HL and 3 at SL. And as an example, I was signed up for Math SL but I took Precal my 11th grade [iB1] year and AP Calculus my 12th grade [iB2] year. There wasn't a class called "IB Math SL" at my school, which is why it's important to figure these things out.

• Like 1