Physics Teacher Isn't Teaching

Adam R

Hi guys :)

My name is Adam and I'm an IB 12. Before my class left for summer break, we had 3 weeks of physics SL under our belts with our teacher Mr.C.

When we returned just last week, we found out that she had left, and an untrained physics teacher would be taking her place. So far, we have had 4 days of school, and the most we've done is talk about "What is science?" in general. This is obviously frustrating, seeing as how our exams come up so fast. We tried to tell the teacher that we would like to start covering the things that we will be tested on, but he just dismisses us. I was wondering if anyone has any tips as to how my class can prepare for the exam without him, or possibly a strategy for talking to him in order to get us back on track.

Thanks!

Well I would wait until you've had school for two weeks, and if he still hasn't done anything with the syllabus, I would contact the IB coordinator at your school and tell him/her. The reason that I recommend waiting two weeks time is so that you have justification for going to the IB coordinator. Any sooner, and your IBC may dismiss you.

As for studying by yourself, I'm not that sure as I don't take physics, but I can give some general advice that could pertain to any subject.

First, get a copy of the syllabus, including the ones for the options that you will use. Then, go through your textbook, online sources, and anything else you can find to take notes on the subject. Then, you can spread these notes around to your classmates, just be careful though, as your school may see it as problematic, but it probably won't be a problem. There is a course companion for IB Physics which may provide more help for you. If the teacher really isn't teaching you, and your school is unwilling to respond, you can always get a physics tutor to help you.

I hope everything works out for you. Don't worry, the teacher will probably start on the syllabus soon. :)

This is the story of my life in Chemistry last year. My first suggestion is to buy the IB Physics course companion. Mine was extremely helpful for those times when I was lost but my teacher wasn't helpful. :) Also, ask your teacher if he can show you examples of what physics questions will look like on the IB exam (he should have been provided with examples) and maybe he will finally begin to explain more about the subject itself. Hopefully other members will be more helpful with physics related suggestions!

Good luck! And welcome to the forum! :)

• 2 weeks later...

u can go and get sample problems that were on the past IB physics tests

i personally dont have this problem because our physics teacher has been at our school of the past 9 years and gets good realults but we practice a lot with the past tests(which ur teacher and the ib cordinator should have) u can also purchase the IB Physics textbooks

the one that we use is made for the diploma and it is callPhysics for the IB Diploma by K A Tsokos and it is really really helpful (it has the material for both the SL and HL exams)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for the suggestions :)

Someone in my class finally told our IBC and he talked with my teacher. Now he's kind of teaching us what we need (like he said that he is going to start putting IB style questions on our quizzes), so my friend with an actual IB Physics textbook and companion guide is actually teaching us the stuff. He's s certificate candidate and has thoroughly looked over the syllabus. We usually just read his textbook while the teacher is teaching, hahaha.

Again, thanks for the help!