EE - IB Music

tanveerh

I'm doing an EE in music and I need a topic that I can relate to. I was thinking about something to do with the Beatles or Jimi Hendrix because that would be pretty cool... I wouln't mind analyzing any of their songs but what do I compare them to? And how do you write 4000 words on "Little Wing"?

I agree that a Music EE will mostly be analysis, but I'm sure that you should be perfectly capable of this seeing as it's an important skill in the Music course and that you like it enough to take it as your EE topic. That said, I'm surprised you should need to post about this then - there's nothing wrong with doing rock or pop if that's where your interests lie, and if you want to do a comparison then you can choose a characteristic that underlies a series of music. For example, you could talk about the use of world musical instruments in Beatles songs, or perhaps even just the use of world musical instruments in pop music and then focus it on a few Beatles pieces. As for how to fill your 4000 words, it should just be straight musical analysis - just do what you'd do in the listening paper, except more in-depth and more edited slash proofread, and you can also transcribe the pieces you choose to illustrate certain points about the different musical characteristics.

• 1 month later...

I'm doing an EE in music and I need a topic that I can relate to. I was thinking about something to do with the Beatles or Jimi Hendrix because that would be pretty cool... I wouln't mind analyzing any of their songs but what do I compare them to? And how do you write 4000 words on "Little Wing"?

I'm doing my extended essay in music, on the Beatles in fact. I've chosen to compare how two of their songs were varied from the original in the film 'Across The Universe'. Doing the Beatles is good if you're analysing, because there is a complete score of all their songs that has been published. So if you had access to that it would take out the aural component to a large extent.

Whilst some musical knowledge is required, I don't think you have to be of any incredibly high standard to complete your essay in music, so go for it. I'm really enjoying my topic because it's something I enjoy, and that's the key to writing a good essay :P

• 2 months later...

I'm doing my extended essay in music, on the Beatles in fact. I've chosen to compare how two of their songs were varied from the original in the film 'Across The Universe'. Doing the Beatles is good if you're analysing, because there is a complete score of all their songs that has been published. So if you had access to that it would take out the aural component to a large extent.

Whilst some musical knowledge is required, I don't think you have to be of any incredibly high standard to complete your essay in music, so go for it. I'm really enjoying my topic because it's something I enjoy, and that's the key to writing a good essay :no:

Where did you manage to get the complete score of all their songs that have been published? That sounds really cool :P I've started my extended essay by analysis the changes between 2 songs from their first album to their two songs from their most recent but i'm struggling to find 4000 words out of this haha.

• 2 weeks later...

I have choose music too but I don't have a question yet, I'll probably do an analysis or instrument use in a song or in a genre or ill do a comparison of two genre's and see how they both present similarities etc. I'm mainly into rock and heavy metal but also a lot into dubstep, house, trance. Should be interesting what I can come up with.

• 2 years later...