Subject Help!

hotrynasurvive

Hey there!

For medicine, you will need Higher level biology and chemistry, the third HL doesn't matter, just choose something that you're interested in and you will do well in. For top universities in the UK for economics, you will need HL economics or maths. Look on the websites for the university that may interest you and look at there entry requirements, they have the requirements for ibdp classes. I would recommend hl biology, chemistry, and economics. But try to figure out which out of medicine or economics interests you the most. If it turns out that you prefer economics, I would say do HL maths and economics and make the third hl anything else. If you choose medicine, Hl biology and chemistry is a must. 

Hope this helped!

9 hours ago, cluelesskidd said:

Hey there!

For medicine, you will need Higher level biology and chemistry, the third HL doesn't matter, just choose something that you're interested in and you will do well in. For top universities in the UK for economics, you will need HL economics or maths. Look on the websites for the university that may interest you and look at there entry requirements, they have the requirements for ibdp classes. I would recommend hl biology, chemistry, and economics. But try to figure out which out of medicine or economics interests you the most. If it turns out that you prefer economics, I would say do HL maths and economics and make the third hl anything else. If you choose medicine, Hl biology and chemistry is a must. 

Hope this helped!

And if your school doesn't provide everything you need, Pamoja has online IB classes that aren't too difficult to follow for SL or HL.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cluelesskidd said:

Hey there!

Hope this helped!

Thank you! :) Wow, I never knew a HL in biology was required for medicine- I thought it was just HL chemistry needed. 

My issue is my school makes you do 3 HL, and 3SL (just like any other school). But in order to not shut any doors for either medicine or economics, then I’d have to do 4HLs- chemistry, biology, economics and maths. And I don’t know if I’m allowed to do that. So my main question atm is: do you think HL Chem, Maths & economics with SL biology, English & another language would work for medicine? 

6 hours ago, hotrynasurvive said:

Thank you! :) Wow, I never knew a HL in biology was required for medicine- I thought it was just HL chemistry needed. 

My issue is my school makes you do 3 HL, and 3SL (just like any other school). But in order to not shut any doors for either medicine or economics, then I’d have to do 4HLs- chemistry, biology, economics and maths. And I don’t know if I’m allowed to do that. So my main question atm is: do you think HL Chem, Maths & economics with SL biology, English & another language would work for medicine? 

You can take 4 HLs. In fact, if you are taking Math HL you encouraged to take 4 HL (for us it was a requirement). And as for the subject choices, it depends on the University. Bio HL and Chem HL are requirements in almost all Universities, so that would be a good choice.

6 hours ago, sriram764 said:

You can take 4 HLs. In fact, if you are taking Math HL you encouraged to take 4 HL (for us it was a requirement). And as for the subject choices, it depends on the University. Bio HL and Chem HL are requirements in almost all Universities, so that would be a good choice.

Oh okay, thank you! :) If so, then I’ll see closer to the date whether my school allows me to do 4 HLs- that would be amazing.

But I suppose if ultimately I can only do 3 HL, and so as to not close any doors for either medicine or economics, I suppose I’d do HL Bio, HL Chem & HL Maths as HL economics isn’t really required, right? 

19 hours ago, hotrynasurvive said:

Oh okay, thank you! :) If so, then I’ll see closer to the date whether my school allows me to do 4 HLs- that would be amazing.

But I suppose if ultimately I can only do 3 HL, and so as to not close any doors for either medicine or economics, I suppose I’d do HL Bio, HL Chem & HL Maths as HL economics isn’t really required, right? 

Yes, I think so. But the best choice, if you're allowed, I think would be to do 4 HL'S: HL Bio, Chem, Maths, and Economics. Most universities require HL Math for economics, but HL economics would be really beneficial too. I would recommend looking at the medicine and economics courses offered at different universities and see which course appeals to you the most. Ask your counselor, whether you can take 4 hls bc if you're doing  HL maths, they usually recommend you do 4 anyway. And if you do the four and it turns out that you don't like one of the subjects, just drop it and that will determine whether you want to do medicine or economics.

I really hoped this helped! I'm still deciding my classes also, so I hope I could help you a bit!