I am in IB year 11 and need help to decide my written task 1 topic. I have taken English Lang & Lit SL. Our teacher has told us that it should be under the topic of persuasion or Bias or both(It cannot be on popular culture). It has to be related to media (can be any form of media). Can someone help me selecting the topic please, this is my first written task and i am absolutely clueless. I am interested in technology, computers, science and cars. Any topic apart from these will also be fine.

Your help will be appreciated. Thank you :)

When you select a topic, it is basically based on a relevant article. As your major topic is Media and Bias, go for any situation or event you are aware of regarding some event which was influenced negatively by interference of media.

You can talk about one certain perspective is over emphasised by the media, such as the "middle-east Islamic degradation". Or the superiority of the West and the Anglophone culture over others by the "global" news giants like Reuters, Associated Press or Agence France-Presse. There is also the Al Jazeera and the related Israel-Palestine conflict.

Just do a bit more of research. And when writing the Task, consukt the marking rubric so as to be sure that you haa=ve adressed all points required to achieve the maximum points. (And DON'T paraphrase.)

Make sure also that you have a very good (I.e. that works for your thesis) definition of "bias". Not just a synonym either. And include it in your essay with a (very) brief discussion of the term, in relation to your chosen topic. This will blaze a clear path for your argument.

Edited by Blackcurrant

Ok yes, I was perhaps thinking too much of WT 2 in my previous answer, after reading Vasudha's excellent ideas. :) way to go Vasudha! :)

Thinking of a creative response is actually one of the main assessment aims for this task, so we cannot do it for you here if this is to be your work.

However, your teacher will have probably given you a standard list of creative responses that should do it for you. One if these is to do an ad where you demonstrate your understanding of techniques of persuasion (visual and written) in media. Media is not TV only, by the way, so that immediately opens up all sorts of alternative forms.

Have you watched any documentaries recently that have had an impact on how you view things? How? You could write a critical review or Oped in a magazine, - but it is useful her to take a real, identifiable magazine or paper and adopt the voice and style of one of the writers of the genre to show your grasp of the conventions for this sort of writing.

These WT1 forms are not terribly original in themselves - originality lies in how you craft something within them.

Edited by Blackcurrant

• 1 month later...

Our teachers forced us to do the WT1 about a poem studied in class so this confused me.

Basically for this task you have to show your understanding of the text and stick with the format of the text type you chose to write your response. I'd suggest you to pick a text which includes lots of stylistic devices etc so you'd have material to analyse in depth.

Edited by ryuk1